crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/23 1:50 p.m.

Adding to my early 80s fleet, I picked up another bike yesterday- a 1983 Honda CX650 Turbo w/ 10k miles. Somehow my current tastes have all my fun vehicles in a very distinct time period. Mondial, CX turbo, CBX.... I was born in 1986 and I don't know why I crave a collection that a middle manager of IBM would have owned in 1983 but here we are.

The mission:

Once everything is sorted, the goal is to turn this one up and see if I can beat the 95 whp my CBX just put down on the dyno. The performance plan is a ROM tune, upping the boost, injectors, throwing on an extra HKS bov I've had, and running 100 + octane. They both make 100 hp at the engine new but wildly different ways so I'm keen to see what I can do.

I had a $600 Yamaha Seca turbo that I put together a few years ago and eventually turned up and that was a rocket ship when modified. It ran great but they have a face only a mother could love. I think the Hondas and Suzukis are the prettiest of the factory turbos so I was on the hunt for a decent one for a while to replace the turbo void I was missing. Given that all my motorcycles are Hondas, I like having this combo.

This one runs but a little rough and has sat forever with old gas. I'm starting off with a baseline of getting it running well stock then I’ll be going through it replacing some cosmetics and doing some maintenance. Somebody painted it lime green then factory theme (missing some decals) back over that and also painted black over the gold front forks. The decal kit says 500 turbo yet the title, frame, engine, handlebars and forks are all 650. I think somebody just went wild on the plastics over the last 40 years.

I’m on the eBay hunt for parts- some side covers, rear turn signal lens, and exhaust baffles that were removed…. It goes on and on. Speaking of, the right side of the bike looks like it got hot and warped the side cover, rear turn signal and taillight lens. Too far from the exhaust so I’m wondering if it was overcharged at some point. These have stator issues around 20k so it's early for that but that’s #1 to check.

The CX:

missing baffles

and the goofy lime green popping through.

The inspiration:

Two different ways to skin a cat. May the battle begin:

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/3/23 2:11 p.m.

You suck. cheeky

Those are two bikes I've lusted after for a long time.

Everyone playing silly buggers with turbo motorcycles in the 80s, then Honda steps up with the most pedestrian model and says "hold my beer and watch this".

I owned a CX650ED and would love to have had the Turbo.

Comments from friends who had one of each CX Turbo, the 650 is much more refined than the 500

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/23 2:11 p.m.

Love this!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/23 3:11 p.m.

That's a cool bike and a cool project. Looking forward to more posts!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
12/3/23 5:41 p.m.

Nice pair of bikes! I worked at the Honda dealer service department in the 80s when I was in high school and community college.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/3/23 6:00 p.m.

Well hooooo boy! Hello, friend! 

I've not owned the  650, but you might say I'm somewhat acquainted with the CX500T. I owned two of them concurrently, in fact. I've also done the double bypass (stator and water pump surgery), which is a monumental pain in the ass. I don't know how susceptible the 650 was to stator failure, but I can tell you that pulling off that monolithic fairing and pulling out the engine to replace it is not a fun project. 

All that being said, they were silly fun to ride. The turbo lag was absolutely a giggle -- nothing, nothing, nothing, WHOOOA! 

While I enjoyed my time with them, I found that I rarely rode them and keeping them in tip-top shape was more and more difficult as time went on. I also hoarded parts: at one point I even had a full engine and transmission sitting atop my shop fridge. Ultimately I sold them to fund my first Corvette. (Fun note: For a while I actually owned two C7 Corvettes, too, both of the same color.)

Regarding the CBX: Those are proper neat motorcycles. I loved the brief flirtation with 6 cylinders in a naked bike. In fact, I have a KZ1300 and a ZN1300 myself. The ZN, however, is a donor for the KZ. I promise, PROMISE that one day I'll get around to finishing that project! These days, however, I tend to stick to my non-project bikes (a Honda Africa Twin and a Ducati Streetfighter V4). 

I really look forward to how this thread evolves! 

Also: Obligatory photos.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/23 11:03 a.m.

Following for customer work coming up. 

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/23 2:46 p.m.

Quite a bit more attractive than the original plastic maggot named original CX500 models. My brother had one and it was stupid reliable

12/9/23 3:30 p.m.

Mini update:

Walbro GCL616 replacement fuel pump fitted (not through sorting the line routing). Early EFI 2.0 Prelude pump should give me enough headroom for a little extra boost.

Replacement side cover that was warped:

Spare relay from the CBX got the flashers going:

Charging, fueling, boosting:

Coming soon:

More actual maintenance coming that will sit and idle then paint and turning it up.

12/17/23 9:00 a.m.

Maintenance supplies:

New iridium plugs. The previous ones were so black with soot it makes me wonder if the bigger pump that was on it was overrunning the fuel pressure regulator since the rest of the bike is other wise stock.

Shaft drive fluid was nasty and maybe original.

Uni foam cut up and piled on a gutted factory air filter frame since new ones are NLA:

New taillight to replace the melted one. Luckily melted from the outside in. Parked close to something hot? It's not over charging and melting anything at least.

First rip:

Confirmed all gears are intact and pulls pretty good under boost. Is not CBX fast but it also has lag then straightens your arms out for you. No real turbo noises from the intake or exhaust which is kind of disappointing considering the Seca turbo's exhaust sounded so good.

After the first ride I started pulling it apart to assess the charge pipe/ surge tank for the blow off valve install and I guess I just didn't realize how far that was buried.

Seems silly to tear into it to do that now so I might hold off on it until I need to get in there. We'll see if I can resist. laugh Valve adjustment next and more cosmetics on order.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/23 10:41 a.m.

Valve adjustments on these are stupid easy, at least. They're the mechanical adjusters. I used to joke that I could do valve adjustments while straddling the bike at a long stoplight.

Did you rebuild the forks? Those are usually in pretty sad shape! 

GCrites
GCrites Dork
12/17/23 9:44 p.m.

I've always wondered if you could get some or even a lot of lag out of these with an exhaust and a tune. Or gearing down.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/23 1:06 a.m.

Whelp, can't not watch this. I was an impressionable pup of ten when these were new and far too captivated by my dad's new V45 Magna (now in my garage awaiting the mythical Right Time) and all its many and varied V4 stablemates. The CBX was too exotic to exist as saleable merchandise in my podunk little town, and any manner of CX was a weird, lumpen oddity, sort of like a two-wheeled Saab 900 - who on earth would buy one when you could have a Nighthawk, or a Shadow, or an Interceptor, or just anything that wasn't so deliberately weird? What was the point?

Alright, well, that was 1983. I was a dumb kid. While arguably still dumb, I've grown out of the kid phase, and now CXs seem downright interesting. And weirdo 80s techie stuff is interesting. And a weirdo 80s techie CX warrants my full attention. Do carry on.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
12/18/23 8:34 a.m.
GCrites said:

I've always wondered if you could get some or even a lot of lag out of these with an exhaust and a tune. Or gearing down.

Can't change the gearing very easily - shaft drive! 

I'm not sure if the 650T has the same gearing as the 650E or 650C, but the NA versions do have a taller primary drive (crank to clutch basket) than the 500 models do if I remember right. But the CX is really geared short - my 500 is ~7000 rpm at 70-75 mph in top gear. 

This is a great thread by the way, I'm a big fan of these bikes. 

Yours sounds like it's running really well in that video clip, I'm really surprised that you can't hear any turbo noises at all. 

My final drive oil looked a lot like yours and I got scared, but it's been fine for thousands of miles after flushing as much metal out as I could. I think it just doesn't hold much oil, so even a small amount of metal makes it look like the world is ending. 

12/18/23 9:05 a.m.

GCrites said:

Nah I think with these old bearing styles there isn't much you can do without swapping it with a modern style tiny car turbo. It's not terrible but it's a real feature. These have a delay whether you go WOT at 2.5k or 5k rpms and to me that is actual turbo lag. A few years ago I saw something about a 1.0 Fiesta turbo being adapted but I don't know if it ever came to fruition.

brandonsmash said:

Did you rebuild the forks? Those are usually in pretty sad shape!

LOL no I just did what I posted in the hour I've spent working on it. I just wanted to do enough to ride it down the road and confirm it has all the gears and shifts well.

gearheadE30 said:
Yours sounds like it's running really well in that video clip, I'm really surprised that you can't hear any turbo noises at all. 

Yeah the intake is a mile long on these with a reed valve and surge tank so that sucks up a lot of it. On the exhaust side the opening on the baffles is super tiny and some folks take a hole saw to it to open it up more then cover them back up with the end caps (which I'm missing and on the hunt for). I haven't decided what I'm going to do on the exhaust side yet. Maybe get a spare set of silencers and completely gut them? Turbos make great mufflers.

Side note, the brakes on this thing are terrible. Smaller than the CBX with it being about the same weight. It's definitely getting upgraded pads minimum when I go through the calipers. 

New turn signal lens, dash parts, and an old school HKS boost gauge are on the way. I like knowing real numbers when things are turned up (instead of five blocks lit up on the factory dash).

GCrites
GCrites Dork
12/18/23 11:24 a.m.
gearheadE30 said:
GCrites said:

Can't change the gearing very easily - shaft drive! 

Oh, duh!

12/23/23 4:43 p.m.

Broken trim pieces replaced, removed the wiring for the extra on/off switch, old school HKS boost gauge installed.

Waiting on a few more cosmetic pieces from overseas.  I may get a couple more miles on it to diagnose anymore maintenance issues it needs. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rDwnK1CcAAs0Y0f4Upxjso7qQCtCUU3ga0SwCUyGyHLmShSypHn5lJ5gEyWXzRsu