• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luddoj's Project M 3.5 CSP Workshop - High Quality CSPs for You! (DEFINETELY SUSPENDED)

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
I'll do that, with both fonts. With a little perspective maybe we can decide on which of them looks better.

Brawl Vault is working again, still, the site is running a bit slow. It's recovering from its great crash after PM 3.5 was released. You can check textures and stuff normally, just be patient.

Well, there are many ways, actually. Many people use Brawl Costume Manager, which you can download easily. Just use Google. The other way (which requires a little more work but is definetely the most efficient way to change CSPs) is by opening your common5.pac file with Brawl Box, find the character you want to replace and the replace the pictures.

My exams are almost over (monday is the last day) so I will return to creating CSPs by Tuesday. Expect updates starting Wednesday! I'll be back to my regular work. Thanks for the patience and for the support up to this point.

Yea i think i should wait till ur Build Drops would make things a lot easier & more cleaner to be exact & such.

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet
How do you make portraits? I mean, I know what to do with the files'n'stuff, but to make quality ones? Do you need a greenscreen stage, a 3D Model viewer or something? Because mine seem awkward and don't fit with the rest. My major problem is with the lighting of the characters. If you could help me with all that, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
I'M BACK

Exams are over, I will now have plenty of time to work on CSPs and to keep focusing on my projects... until January at least, but that leaves us with a whole month to finish this!

I'm sorry for the wait, but as I stated before I left, I will now be working extra hard to create really high quality CSPs for all of you to enjoy. I will be modelling every character in the game and posting my work here, perfectly ordered and with enough tools at your disposal to easily edit your current CSPs with mine!

Keep in mind that if you want download links that include:
- All character CSPs
- Their respective BPs
- Brand new CSS Icons

Then you can find links to download zip files directly from Dropbox. So? What are you waiting!

Also, I'm sad to say that I will be not accepting requests for the time being. If I want to reach at least half of the roster before the year ends, I will have to be focusing on each character without getting stuck on adding more textures to an already finished one. Please be patient, as I will still be accepting your custom textures in the future so you can have variety.

Finally, keep in mind that I'm also working on Stage Preview and Icons to customize your Project M interface. I have stated multiple times that I'm not a fan of how the new verison looks, so I'm trying to modify that as well.

As soon as all my CSPs are ready and when I finish the work with the stages menu I will be releasing a full pack that will include an already completely modified version of Project M 3.5 ready for you to download and use! The Build will be tournament ready so if you want to use it on your local tourney, please do so!

Without further ado, let's start with today's update!

Luigi:

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jnlrsi7lm808efn/AACjrExZPtXDvBI3R1CJXB_ya?dl=0

This pose is actually part of my old CSPs set, but I have tweaked it a little bit to make Luigi face more towards the camera and I have also worked on illumination and color vibrance. So the results look way better than my old ones!

Please remember to check the thread usually for more updates and to check for more information about the project. Remember that your support by leaving feedback, opinions, or simply coming here to say thanks, is waht makes me want to go forward with this and waht makes my dedicaton and hard ork really mean something.

We're back in bussiness!

Narpas_sword

Welcome back, hope the exams went well =)

I have a little feedback on Link, in game he looks a little too off center. I think he needs to have some of his hat and sword cut off so his torso is more central.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Oh my god a death stare Luigi would be amazing. Please when you're done everything else!

Hope exams went well. Haven't even started yet.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Welcome back, hope the exams went well =)

I have a little feedback on Link, in game he looks a little too off center. I think he needs to have some of his hat and sword cut off so his torso is more central.
My idea with Link was exactly to show his entire body while still keeping his sword and shield visible. It's also a matter of perspective and balance, since the sword being all the way to the right and his body being all the way to the left makes the image feel complete, instead of looking like something is missing, which would happen if I were to cut parts of his sword.

Take Donkey's pose as another example. He is not centered (his torso) because I tried to make his right fist stand out from the rest of the picture, to show him in some kinf of fihting stance. While on the CSS he is not centered either, the final result makes the CSP look balanced and still works very well.

I'm not a fan of cropping things out from the original renders because it takes away the purpose of giving each character a new pose and design. i would have to do that if poses were too horizontal or if trying to fit every single piece of the image into the tiny CSP margins were to make the image too small and barely visible.
Lucky *****. Hahah these Luigi ones look great--if you made a Death Stare Alt I may explode
I also thought about the idea of showing a Death Stare Luigi. However, managing to edit Luigi's eyebrows is not easy to accomplish, and I may take a while to discover how to include that into CSPs. I will definetely give it a try in the future tho.
Oh my god a death stare Luigi would be amazing. Please when you're done everything else!

Hope exams went well. Haven't even started yet.
Thanks for that. Everything went out perfectly and I'm free of University and won't have to worry about that for some time. As satated above, I willl definetely be giving Death Stare Luigi CSPs a shot, but of course, that will be in the future.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
OK... REALLY REALLY BAD NEWS

My computer went boom... Just decided to die on me...

All my files are dead as well. All my molds, programs, old settings, etc. All. Dead. RIP

Ok so what does this means?
It means that I will have to start ALL OVER FROM THE BEGINING.

I still have the Dropbox files, which are the CSPs, BPs and CSS Icons that you can download freely. However, I will not be able to edit them as I could when I had all my stuff with me.

I see this problem as a chance to improve myself and my work. Starting all the way from the begining will allow me to create new, original content, and since I'm starting to use new and improvd techniques to create my CSPs, expect more dedication and effort on my end.

Just a quick update to let you know why you won't be getting any update tomorrow. I'll still try to deliver.

Thanks for reading!

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to hear that, man. I hope you had your important files backed up (I mean non-Smash stuff), but that really sucks.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Oh no!

Is the plan to redo all the work you've already done and all the portraits you've posted, or will those be going into your final build?

Hope it doesn't hurt your life outside of this project too much (which we should all remember you have!)

Also have you been contacted by the PMDT yet? As its own game it should have its own portraits and I see no reason for you not to head that project.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Holy ****! That's really terrible to hear about. You know I would love to help you in any way I can.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Holy crap I wish you all the best! Even though it's wiped, you have a lot more experience than when you started out, so you'll probably be able to do stuff a lot faster anyways, **** em

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Well, crap...
It's funny because those were my exact words when it happened
I'm sorry to hear that, man. I hope you had your important files backed up (I mean non-Smash stuff), but that really sucks.
Thanks man. I did have some backups already stored on an external drive that I could recover. Mainly programs and documents, both from my daily life duties and from Smash. However, the files I stored were mainly my Melee Custom Textures and also my older CSPs, which were designed for V3.02. Those won't work at all so I WILL have to start all over, but at least I haven't lost everything and will be able to get back to bussiness sooner than expected.

Let this be a lesson for you all:
ALWAYS KEEP BACKUPS SOMEWHERE SAFE.
CREATE RESTORE POINTS FOR YOUR SYSTEM SO YOU DON'T LOSE YOUR VALUABLE AND IMPORTANT FILES
About to try anything new in your computer? Are you in the middle of a project and haven't saved lately? PLEASE DO THAT. DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR STUFF.
Oh no!

Is the plan to redo all the work you've already done and all the portraits you've posted, or will those be going into your final build?

Hope it doesn't hurt your life outside of this project too much (which we should all remember you have!)

Also have you been contacted by the PMDT yet? As its own game it should have its own portraits and I see no reason for you not to head that project.
Glad you asked that since it's time to clarify that kind of stuff

The characters that have been finished up to this point (Ex: Mario, DK, Link, Yoshi, etc.) will keep their portraits like that until the release of my Vanilla Custom Build, which won't have any downloaded textures or custom elements, since my plan is to release a tournament ready build, and textures and stuff of the sort are banned in tourneys.

Since I don't have the base files to create alternate or requested costumes, I won't be able to recreate them anymore... So if in the future costumes for those characters are requested, I will have to create new poses and new CSPs to manage that. The original files are dead. So sorry about that.

However, that leaves space for improvement, since I will have to create alternate poses and you will be able to keep my old poses as well. Also, now that I have more experience on this subject, you can expect better results for the already finished characters, of course, that will have to wait till a later date.

About joining the PMDT, I would really love to be part of the team and help on the design of the characters and the sort. If I'm able to apply in the future I will definetely will, but I haven't been contacted by any members, at least not until now. I DO have some other projects in store that will focus on developing a better interface for Project M 3.5 but I will tell you guys more about that in the future. I'm sure you are going to love it so please keep coming back for more news!
Holy ****! That's really terrible to hear about. You know I would love to help you in any way I can.
Thanks for the offer and for the support. It IS really unfortunate and this will delay my work quite a bit, as well as making things harder for me since I have to start all over again. But I see this as a challenge and an opportunity for me to improve and to learn from my mistakes.

Expect great quality content in the future (as always) and a lot of dedication and hard work on my end. Also, I will be storing my files in a VERY safe place so this kind of stuff doesn't happen again. Rest assured that my next models will be definitive and that they won't be leaving us like the last ones did (RIP my old CSPs ;_;7 )

You can actually help me by spreading the word and by leaving feedback about the CSPs. Try them on your own Build and let me hear what you think.
Since I'm already taking care of CSPs, BPs and CSS icons there's almost nothing you can help me with, at least at the moment. But the offer is appreciated. If in the future I need help with anything I'll make sure to inform all of you. Thanks!
Holy crap I wish you all the best! Even though it's wiped, you have a lot more experience than when you started out, so you'll probably be able to do stuff a lot faster anyways, **** em
Thanks for that! Yeah, since I have more experience in this kind of stuff I will be able to get back into the game pretty soon, and starting all over will mean creating much better content right from the start, so that's very good news for all of us.

All in all, thanks for your messages and for your support. Please keep in mind that, even though I love this project and I love the fact that so many of you are enjoying it, I still have to take care of other stuff going on in my life. I will try to keep the daily updates alive, BUT, if for any reason I'm not able to post things for quite some time, the only thing I ask for is for patience and understanding of the situation.

You all have been great with me and my work up to this point, and I'm really happy to deliver content to you.

Expect more news in the future and I will definetely get back to work as soon as I can. More CSPs coming your way!

nimigoha

Smash Ace
You're such a legend! Best of luck sorting everything else that's a priority out and look forward to seeing your next work.

Sempai

Smash Ace
@ Luddoj Luddoj

If you start to branch out to other skins after the originals, I think you should do the team Mars/Maritime/Minty and Vibrant skins, they look fantastic and have stood the test of time. They are generic in a sense but those are the kind of skins that always will look good and you wont get sick of.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=55485.0

This is just an opinion, but these colors were worked on by a team, and were not just thrown together.

Im sorry to hear about your comp! If I lost all my CSPs idk what the hell I would do...best of luck!

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
@ Luddoj Luddoj

If you start to branch out to other skins after the originals, I think you should do the team Mars/Maritime/Minty and Vibrant skins, they look fantastic and have stood the test of time. They are generic in a sense but those are the kind of skins that always will look good and you wont get sick of.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=55485.0

This is just an opinion, but these colors were worked on by a team, and were not just thrown together.

Im sorry to hear about your comp! If I lost all my CSPs idk what the hell I would do...best of luck!
I do plan to add extra textures to characters as soon as they are ready. I have used the Mars, Maritime and Minty versions of characters and I must say that I love how they look and I will be definetely giving them a shot, as soon as I'm done with the main costumes that come by default in Project M 3.5 of course.

Part of accepting user requests is adding custom textures to the already created CSPs so they can have variety to choose and include in their own builds. So don't worry, you will eventually see those textures on display right here.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Hey guys, quick update:
Actually, one of my guys did survive the great explosion of my PC

Wario:

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jt2z5ay0jvtmuqm/AACDPhibZJBS1Y_eF2XMC3e4a?dl=0

Also, I thought I was being original, but then one of my friends mentioned that my current pose looks like the one the great SJS has...

Although mine has slightly different lighting and camera, props to him for using this kind of pose first.
I guess you now have variety to choose from!

Since everyone is going to receive alternates in the future, let's wait and see till I think of a better pose for this guy.
Enjoy this quick update and expect more CSPs in the future.

EDIT: Please, if when you try it in your Builds you have issues with the size, make sure to let me know.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys, quick update:
Actually, one of my guys did survive the great explosion of my PC

Wario:

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jt2z5ay0jvtmuqm/AACDPhibZJBS1Y_eF2XMC3e4a?dl=0

Also, I thought I was being original, but then one of my friends mentioned that my current pose looks like the one the great SJS has...

Although mine has slightly different lighting and camera, props to him for using this kind of pose first.
I guess you now have variety to choose from!

Since everyone is going to receive alternates in the future, let's wait and see till I think of a better pose for this guy.
Enjoy this quick update and expect more CSPs in the future.

EDIT: Please, if when you try it in your Builds you have issues with the size, make sure to let me know.
Now that you mention it, I have some problem with the placing of the Yoshis CSS. His eyes get covered with his name and he seemed to be placed too high.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Now that you mention it, I have some problem with the placing of the Yoshis CSS. His eyes get covered with his name and he seemed to be placed too high.
Oh yeah, about that. I'm pretty sure you haven't checked the older posts from the thread, but my idea of CSS was to have them WITHOUT the names on the top, since having the names on the CSS and on the CSP slots was too redundant. Please consider editing your current CSS to delete the names of the characters from the top and then you won't have any problems and the placement will be perfect.

Sempai

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, about that. I'm pretty sure you haven't checked the older posts from the thread, but my idea of CSS was to have them WITHOUT the names on the top, since having the names on the CSS and on the CSP slots was too redundant. Please consider editing your current CSS to delete the names of the characters from the top and then you won't have any problems and the placement will be perfect.
Luddoj, do you by chance know where the textures for the border around the CSS? I have no names as well, but there grey, idk where to fill them in. You know what Im saying?

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Luddoj, do you by chance know where the textures for the border around the CSS? I have no names as well, but there grey, idk where to fill them in. You know what Im saying?
Replacing them is not going to make them dissapear, even if you just add a transparent texture. You are going to need to edit some numbers from the common5.pac file, if I'm not mistaken. Mine is already done, and I changed that way back. There are tutorials here on SmashBoards, since I found out about that technique while checking some threads. That is going to be your best bet.

Inquirer

Smash Cadet
If you mean how to completely remove the name tags from the css icons (not the CSPs) then go to common5 (with Brawlbox) --> sc_selcharacter_en --> Misc[30] --> AnmChr -->MenSchrFaceI_TopN_0 and change nameEA7's Y translation to -100.

My apologies if I misunderstood by any chance.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
If you mean how to completely remove the name tags from the css icons (not the CSPs) then go to common5 (with Brawlbox) --> sc_selcharacter_en --> Misc[30] --> AnmChr -->MenSchrFaceI_TopN_0 and change nameEA7's Y translation to -100.

You deserve a medal man. This is exactly what I was refering to.
Thanks!

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet
I was wondering, how do you make the background and outline of the characters for CSS Icons? I'm beginning making CSPs, but I don't know how to make CSS Icons, so some help would be appreciated. And if, by any chance, you know the best way to make stock icons, please let me know too. Thanks!

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
I was wondering, how do you make the background and outline of the characters for CSS Icons? I'm beginning making CSPs, but I don't know how to make CSS Icons, so some help would be appreciated. And if, by any chance, you know the best way to make stock icons, please let me know too. Thanks!
Literally everything I upload is made on Photoshop. I use all the tools available at my disposal to create CSPs, BPs and CSS Icons.
I just use a base color, I copy its values, create a new project with the right size and paint it. I use the default layer options that came with Photoshop and I create both the glow and the lighting effects. Nothing too advanced. If you want to create better looking images, consider applying level layers, vibrance, saturation or even color. Just find something that matches your style and also that makes your picture look even better.

Last edited:

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet
Literally everything I upload is made on Photoshop. I use all the tools available at my disposal to create CSPs, BPs and CSS Icons.
I just use a base color, I copy its values, create a new project with the right size and paint it. I use the default layer options that came with Photoshop and I create both the glow and the lighting effects. Nothing too advanced. If you want to create better looking images, consider applying level layers, vibrance, saturation or even color. Just find something that matches your style and also that makes your picture look even better.
Actually, what I wanted to know is how you make them blend together with the original textures and icons, like giving them the same ``format``/style (for example, in your CSS Icons, the backgrounds and outlines are the same as the default textures).

That's my mistake, I wasn't specific enough, I'm sorry about the trouble and the time I made you lose.

Still, I'm thankful you answered, and quickly that is!

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Actually, what I wanted to know is how you make them blend together with the original textures and icons, like giving them the same ``format``/style (for example, in your CSS Icons, the backgrounds and outlines are the same as the default textures).

That's my mistake, I wasn't specific enough, I'm sorry about the trouble and the time I made you lose.

Still, I'm thankful you answered, and quickly that is!
Obtaining the right color was a matter of trial an error. What I did was use Photoshop to help me recognize what shade of blue/purple I the default Project M CSS had. You can easily find the original images by checking the default files in your Vanilla Project M Download.

After that, I was constantly checking different shades of blue/purple until I found the one that looked the most like the default one. Then I kept that as my base for the rest of my CSS Icons. As I mentioned before, I had to add some effects to make the solid color look like the one on my Icons. You can use the default Photoshop layer tools for that.

Goku1233

Smash Cadet
NNID
Brolyx1233

Hey would you know how to remove the "ready to fight" bar or move it to the top of the css like the Pillar CSS? Cause some csp pics are blocked by the bar.

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet
Obtaining the right color was a matter of trial an error. What I did was use Photoshop to help me recognize what shade of blue/purple I the default Project M CSS had. You can easily find the original images by checking the default files in your Vanilla Project M Download.

After that, I was constantly checking different shades of blue/purple until I found the one that looked the most like the default one. Then I kept that as my base for the rest of my CSS Icons. As I mentioned before, I had to add some effects to make the solid color look like the one on my Icons. You can use the default Photoshop layer tools for that.
Thanks! Now may I ask one more question? (I'm annoying, I know, but hey, I can't find the information on Internet so... yeah) How do you get the models for ALL the retextures of a character? For example, if I go into my Wario fighter file, there's not even one single model and for Marth, only a couple. Do you know how to get the missing ones?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Gosh these look great. Remember that time I was indifferent about PM Customizations for the most part until this word-gold thread came along

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I can't wait to see the Peach ones! There was one a while back I saw that mimicked Melee's pose, but I'd also like to see the pose where she's standing to the side with her arms up (think Super Mario 64) or whatever he comes up with as well haha

Inquirer

Smash Cadet
Hey would you know how to remove the "ready to fight" bar or move it to the top of the css like the Pillar CSS? Cause some csp pics are blocked by the bar.
Not really sure about how to do what you ask but you can check out oNITESkye's post in this thread in which he changes the position and transparency of the 'ready to fight' bar.

seanbb

Smash Cadet
Wow Good job! My PM now have a new and better look.
It'd be nice to see new Fox's icons and portraits;)

EDIT:
There are a little issue in the yoshi's CSS icon, In the original PM Characters Select Screen the word YOSHI cover the face and the eyes of the yoshi css icon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom