Seedling before transplanting into DWC

Hey!

Any advices what should I do before transplanting seedling into DWC bucket?

I put germinated seed into rockwool cube and seedling were kind of struggling to pop out, right now it has problems to stand properly. So decided to transplant the rockwool cube into net cup filled with clay pebbles, since tap root came thru the bottom of rockwool. Didn’t put the net cup on DWC bucket yet ondering if the fragile seedling gets overwatered and dies..

Should I just keep hand watering from top or dip the net cup in water to keep the pebbles moist? OR just put it into DWC bucket? :rolleyes:

Right now its sitting on the tray wheres mix of pH6.0 Water and GHE’s root booster. By doing so trying to keep the pebbles moist via capillary effect.

Thank you for your support!

Picture of current look:
06E56694-06DA-4DEF-944A-F78C3BC733BC.jpeg

Hey Verbalist,

Your on the right track. Lightly feed from the top, with the net cup in the bucket.
Water level for bucket starting I believe is below the net cup by an inch or two, with an airstone slightly splashing the net cup.

Be careful with the rockwool. It retains moisture a bit too well IMO, and is bad for dampening off.
Most just leave the cube with the top of the rockwool showing in the hydroton.
Here's a pic showing what I mean:

Basically just don't bury it too deep, once the roots start feeding from the bucket that rockwool should stay nice and dry.

Once the root catches, it'll reach into the bucket and you can stop top feeding.

Ph at 5.8, let drift naturally to 6.5 before resetting to 5.8

This chart will make life easier.
C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg-1.jpg

Tag me anytime and I'll help out best I can. I've never run DWC but I use a live res and have done flood and drain. It's all the same --> reservoir maintenance and plant care.

Hey Verbalist,

Your on the right track. Lightly feed from the top, with the net cup in the bucket.
Water level for bucket starting I believe is below the net cup by an inch or two, with an airstone slightly splashing the net cup.

Be careful with the rockwool. It retains moisture a bit too well IMO, and is bad for dampening off.
Most just leave the cube with the top of the rockwool showing in the hydroton.
Here's a pic showing what I mean:

Basically just don't bury it too deep, once the roots start feeding from the bucket that rockwool should stay nice and dry.

Once the root catches, it'll reach into the bucket and you can stop top feeding.

Ph at 5.8, let drift naturally to 6.5 before resetting to 5.8

This chart will make life easier.
C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg-1.jpg

Tag me anytime and I'll help out best I can. I've never run DWC but I use a live res and have done flood and drain. It's all the same --> reservoir maintenance and plant care.
Hi @Rexer and thank you for your input! I really appreciate it.

The net cup is around 6" wide and 4" height and Ive transplanted the rockwool cube as high as possible (see the picture below) just because I was wondering that when placing net cup in the DWC bucket, the rockwool indeed gets easily a bit too saturated if planted any deeper. Even now when I dip the net cup half in the separate bowl wheres pH 6 water and mix of root booster the rockwool gets pretty soggy..
E4BA4999-68A5-48FE-836A-F01E92833E95.jpeg

Im bottom feeding using separate bowl because that way trying to stimulate root growth downwards faster.
Should I keep doing that or top feed with spray bottle only?
When just spraying the top it feels like the pebbles dries down very fast and wondering if theres enough moisture for the roots(?)

Today is 4th day since she emerged and the growth has been very slow, barely any vertical growth at all.. Any ideas how long it takes to first roots poke through the bottom of net cup, so I could ”safely” put it into DWC bucket?
Or should I already put it into DWC and run DWC with very low EC (for example only using GHE’s root booster and TriPart’s Micro supplement)
7B37C47A-9BAC-4BB2-9200-382BA98BD781.jpeg

It is an autoflower strain (Critical 2.0 XL) which having relatively short life cycle between 8-10 weeks total from germination. At least thats what breeder provides.. So I guess all the problems should be minimized to gain a decent crop.

The tap root might be somewhere in middle of the net cup right now heading her way down. And I think if I place the net cup into DWC and run the whole thing it either wont get enough moisture from the splashes if the water surface is for example 2-3" below the net pot. OR vice versa if I rise the water surface close to the bottom of the net cup it saturates the rockwool too wet.. So having a really hard times figuring out what would be the best scenario to do right now.

Judging from how wet the rockwool looks in that picture- your going to damage her.

Hi @Rexer and thank you for your input! I really appreciate it.

The net cup is around 6" wide and 4" height and Ive transplanted the rockwool cube as high as possible (see the picture below) just because I was wondering that when placing net cup in the DWC bucket, the rockwool indeed gets easily a bit too saturated if planted any deeper.
Which is why you don't plant it deep. You want to keep that rockwool dry. Once those roots poke through the rockwool, no more getting it wet.
Let it dry up some or you will kill it Via dampening off.

Even now when I dip the net cup half in the separate bowl wheres pH 6 water and mix of root booster the rockwool gets pretty soggy..
which is why you shouldn't be dunking it, especially that deep. It can be done that way, but my advice is lightly spray the pebbles surrounding the rockwool, but not until that rockwool dries a bit
Im bottom feeding using separate bowl because that way trying to stimulate root growth downwards faster.
Should I keep doing that or top feed with spray bottle only?
Top feed, as stated in previous paragraph and post.
When just spraying the top it feels like the pebbles dries down very fast and wondering if theres enough moisture for the roots(?)
Have some faith, it's a tried method used by many. Or don't and feel free to trailblaze...or wait for more opinions. You're the grower, the choice is yours.
Today is 4th day since she emerged and the growth has been very slow, barely any vertical growth at all.. Any ideas how long it takes to first roots poke through the bottom of net cup, so I could ”safely” put it into DWC bucket?
you won't see much growth with the rockwool soaked.
Or should I already put it into DWC and run DWC with very low EC (for example only using GHE’s root booster and TriPart’s Micro supplement)
i think I answered that in my first post. Put the system together, it's time. Right now start with nothing above 150- 200 PPM (that's a roundabout guess) for nutrients strength. Ph 5.8
It is an autoflower strain (Critical 2.0 XL) which having relatively short life cycle between 8-10 weeks total from germination. At least thats what breeder provides.. So I guess all the problems should be minimized to gain a decent crop.
so far autoflowers in hydroponics is pretty much all I've grown
The tap root might be somewhere in middle of the net cup right now heading her way down. And I think if I place the net cup into DWC and run the whole thing it either wont get enough moisture from the splashes if the water surface is for example 2-3" below the net pot. OR vice versa if I rise the water surface close to the bottom of the net cup it saturates the rockwool too wet.. So having a really hard times figuring out what would be the best scenario to do right now.
Fill the bucket up to 1 or 2 inches below the net cup. Place your airstone so it's positioned near the top of the water. It should lightly splash the bottom of the net cup. The roots will sense the moisture and travel towards it to feed, but only if there is no moisture up top (hint- let the rockwool dry up some).

Sorry if my reply is straight to the point. I see you doing what I did when I started and it cost me a few seeds

Ps- grow it like she's a photo for feeding. Use that chart I gave in the first post. Print it, save it to your phone, and if you check your reservoir regularly and follow that chart you'll surprise yourself at how easy it can be once you get the hang of it.
The start for me is always the hardest most sensitive part

Judging from how wet the rockwool looks in that picture- your going to damage her.

Which is why you don't plant it deep. You want to keep that rockwool dry. Once those roots poke through the rockwool, no more getting it wet.
Let it dry up some or you will kill it Via dampening off.

which is why you shouldn't be dunking it, especially that deep. It can be done that way, but my advice is lightly spray the pebbles surrounding the rockwool, but not until that rockwool dries a bit

Top feed, as stated in previous paragraph and post.

Have some faith, it's a tried method used by many. Or don't and feel free to trailblaze...or wait for more opinions. You're the grower, the choice is yours.

you won't see much growth with the rockwool soaked.

i think I answered that in my first post. Put the system together, it's time. Right now start with nothing above 150- 200 PPM (that's a roundabout guess) for nutrients strength. Ph 5.8

so far autoflowers in hydroponics is pretty much all I've grown

Fill the bucket up to 1 or 2 inches below the net cup. Place your airstone so it's positioned near the top of the water. It should lightly splash the bottom of the net cup. The roots will sense the moisture and travel towards it to feed, but only if there is no moisture up top (hint- let the rockwool dry up some).
Definitely got that the soggy rock wools a problem right now. At least twice xd Dont let me down, for sure didnt try to soak it that much and it looks even more soggy when took a pic with flash on. And I guess its getting slowly drier bcoz leaves kinda reachin upwards right now.

letting it dry down now and just tested how the bubbler splashes with separate net cup. Air pump/stone is kinda powerful so when having net cup about 1-1.5" above the water surface that moistens the bottom actually pretty nicely.

From bottom of the net cup to bottom of the rockwool cube theres like 2-2.5" layer of pebbles. When rockwool gets dry enough what you think does capillary effect via pebbles saturate rockwool anymore?

And Edit: fortunately the rockwool cube is the smallest possible one. Its 40x40x40mm (1.5x1.5x1.5inch) So getting it dry shouldnt be impossible

Definitely got that the soggy rock wools a problem right now. At least twice xd Dont let me down, for sure didnt try to soak it that much and it looks even more soggy when took a pic with flash on. And I guess its getting slowly drier bcoz leaves kinda reachin upwards right now.

letting it dry down now and just tested how the bubbler splashes with separate net cup. Air pump/stone is kinda powerful so when having net cup about 1-1.5" above the water surface that moistens the bottom actually pretty nicely.

From bottom of the net cup to bottom of the rockwool cube theres like 2-2.5" layer of pebbles. When rockwool gets dry enough what you think does capillary effect via pebbles saturate rockwool anymore?
Those pebbles can actually retain more moisture then you think. An example (doesn't fit your scenario but you'll see the point), is my setup. I've got several feet of hydroton. I've let my plants go (recently as yesterday) over 18hrs with no feed or spray...They're just fine. The plants can go with a bit of drought, and some growers encourage it. It's a fine line at this stage, but the fact that you say she's reaching upwards means I was a bit overreacting to the moisture I thought I saw. But I'm double glad I was wrong, as it leaves you in a much better situation.

If the rockwool feel dry on top, wait an hr or two (to be safe) then do a light top feed half an inch or an inch or so around the rockwool. Just wait it out, don't try to assist the drying.

It really doesn't take long to get them feeding from the bottom.

Gravity will help make sure the water doesn't travel to far up the net cup from the splashes.

Once she's feeding good and well (roots visibly in water) you can lower the reservoir a bit so the bottom of the net cup doesn't get splashed anymore, and drop the airstone to the bottom of the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom