I need organizing help please.

I have files that I have brought with me from computer to computer to computer for 12 years. The other day I was working on a website design and save files in 3 different spots and got extremely frustrated how I have everything organized. I don't do any website or graphic work on the side so its all for me, for fun I guess. I have seen many different ideas on organizing for clients but I just can't seem to apply them towards my needs.

So I am asking for help if people here can share they way they have their stuff organized especially for graphics. I know I am a packrat when it comes to this stuff. I am tossing out files as I see I don't need them so please don't suggest that. I just need ideas on how people have their personal graphics and documents organized.

Thanks!

Mark

you really need someone to tell you how to organize your files? really?

Yep, ideas are always helpful. I know there are better ways of doing it than I am now. So any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks for the constructive input.

What i do, is create a projects folder on my desktop, then for each site i am working on, or whatever, i create a separate subfolder, then it's all on 1 spot, easy to access...and i create an archive folder, to move old projects into...

he is asking ideas of organizing :p

here, how do I Organize !

Main Folder => Graphics Folder

Sub Folders=> Wall Papers, Fun Stuff, Personal Files

Sub Sub => for Walls, Hi Res, Low Res

Sub Sub Sub => for Hi Res => Nature, Babes, Art works

Sub Sub => for Fun stuff => Jpeg, GIF

I guess, you got the idea...LOL

What i do, is create a projects folder on my desktop, then for each site i am working on, or whatever, i create a separate subfolder, then it's all on 1 spot, easy to access...and i create an archive folder, to move old projects into...

Thank you. What do you do with say graphics you make just for the hell of it? Like for instance I have a folder called 'My Graphics' and anything I ever made I would just shove in there. So I have ai, psd, jpg, png... etc in there. So its grown to like 1000+ graphic files. Also are there image files that you use for more than one project, like I have thumbtack, screw, button graphics that are like standard graphics that I use on other files that I make. I was thinking of making a 'Source Graphics' folder under 'My Graphics' and putting all that stuff in there.

Any thoughts?

he is asking ideas of organizing :p

here, how do I Organize !

Main Folder => Graphics Folder

Sub Folders=> Wall Papers, Fun Stuff, Personal Files

Sub Sub => for Walls, Hi Res, Low Res

Sub Sub Sub => for Hi Res => Nature, Babes, Art works

Sub Sub => for Fun stuff => Jpeg, GIF

I guess, you got the idea...LOL

:) Yeah thank you! I think i am OVER thinking this stuff. Like here is an example... I have this wallpaper

2009-08-29_0403.png

And here are some of the folders I have under my wallpapers folder:

2009-08-29_0404.png

So I am thinking where should it go? Computer, Astronomy, Digital Art?

So yeah just going stupid over this.