Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

Tibor

frogophone
1) I'm aware that there is no cute play on words in the thread title.

2) Chris Pfeiler has an excellent lengthy review of this episode. However, I've wanted to discuss this in depth here, and Cosmo Kramer requested it.

3) My little spill deals with religious elements that we probably don't see eye to eye on. HOWEVER... that isn't what this is about. Any argument about spirituality/religion OUTSIDE of the context of analyzing this episode will be ignored, for the good of all parties involved.

Now, I'll dive into this, and try to convey what I get out of this episode and why it is my favorite ever, after rediscovering it a few months ago.

Something that I love in this story is that it is told mostly from a child's POV, with most of the meaningful and insightful dialogue taking place between children. The reason that I love this is that I have an idea that some of the most substantial wit and insight is conveyed through innocence. I also love Bart's meaningful self-discovery opposed to Lovejoy's nitpicking of something so relatively trivial as whether or not rock and roll is immoral.

The most immediate thing established in this episode is that it will not be examining the concept of a soul from the standpoint of organized religion.

- In the earliest scenes, Rev. Lovejoy exploits the children's fear of hell to flush out Bart, which seems to attack a tendency to base faith on fear rather than love. There is also the unmistakable swipe with Milhouse's "What would they have to gain?" and the cut to Lovejoy counting up the day's collection.

- When Milhouse defines the soul for Bart, it's a very childish, simplistic thing. This could be an expression of doubt over an actual physical existence of a soul, or it could be a stab at how the idea of a soul is simplified in organized religion (or both). Concerning the latter, I can't say that it applies universally, but in my experience, the soul isn't meditated on in christian church, it just seems to be 'you' after you die, nothing particularly deep or meaningful, just a part of you that wriggles out your nose and goes to heaven or hell when you expire.

- Bart's line "It's just something they made up to scare you" is particularly important both in relation to the criticism leveled at church as an establishment, and the character decision Bart will soon make. That's probably been his experience with ideas of the soul; it's been presented as a mysterious concept to threaten him, as happened after his prank. Bart's nature is to rebel, and he dismisses the soul as a tool of authority. Interestingly, following this thought, Bart's experience with the church authority is more or less responsible for how he views a 'soul.'

- Lisa, as the sage, cites philosophers to shed insight on the nature of the soul, rather than scripture.

And so the meditation on the soul begins to unfold, starting from something as simple as leverage to interrogate the kids at church, or a piece of paper, to an abstract, philosophical idea

Is the soul something that can be bought, sold, lost and found? Or is the soul an inalienable part of all of us, yet it must be discovered? When Bart sells his soul, he simply writes down "Bart's Soul" on a piece of paper. The whole premise is probably a throwback to classic legend, such as The Devil and Tom Walker. But stepping back and looking at it, it seems silly that something as abstract as the soul could be transferred with a pen and church stationary. I believe that this piece of paper that drives Bart's character throughout is a symbolic device to put the search for his soul in a more contained context. I would also say that the entire episode has deep symbolism:

- Bart's initial dismissal of the soul, trivializing it to a piece of paper.

- The hostile nature of nearly everything around him (his pets, the menacing automatic door at the Kwik-E-Mart, the pesticide man at the Van Houten's, the street cleaner) when he fears he actually has lost his soul.

- Bart's desperate chase throughout the third act, which is IMO paralleling a personal search.

While discussing symbolism, the direction and animation can absolutely NOT be overlooked. The spooky echo when Bart declares that 'there's no such thing as a soul', the scene where he walks home in the rain empty-handed the subtle changes in Bart's appearance from normal, to haggard, to tired but content. All of this creates mood and atmosphere that never crosses the line to melodrama. The way it backs up and enhances certain moments is absolutely flawless, without ever being obtrusive or in-your-face.

Throughout the episode the notion of a soul is separated from religion, and even God, save for Bart's prayer. One can decide for himself if Bart's prayer had been answered by God. But my interpretation is that for Bart it doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes his prayer WAS answered, even if it was only Lisa that he owes his redemption. My favorite line in this is probably Lisa's last line- "noone is born with a soul, you have to earn it, through suffering and prayer, like you did last night." This captures what I love about the story, a painful and even dark self-realization that concludes with a personal salvation.

Last edited:
"Bart Sells His Soul", with the exception of "Homer the Heretic" is the most influential, thought-provoking religion-based episode, in my opinion. I just love this one.

Tibor said:

Something that I love in this story is that it is told mostly from a child's POV, with most of the meaningful and insightful dialogue taking place between children. The reason that I love this is that I have an idea that some of the most substantial wit and insight is conveyed through innocence.
An excellent point, indeed.

This is probably a throwback to classic legend, such as The Devil and Tom Walker.
Hmm, never thought of it that way. That's an interesting way of looking at it.

The spooky echo when Bart declares that 'there's no such thing as a soul'
I loved the angle in that shot.

By far my favorite part is Bart's innocent prayer to God that perfectly captures the way a ten year-old kid like this would actually pray. Like when he says "Are you there, God?" or "I could really use some of that good stuff right about now." It's great to see Bart finally take religion seriously and to have sort of a "religious awakening". It's so perfectly akward for him but at the same time it appears comfortable for him. (Not sure if that makes any sense.) It's interesting to see Bart finally realize that Christianity is actually pretty heavy stuff, and isn't something he should just pass off and disregard like he had for years. I think this affected him a lot more importantly than it did in "Bart Gets An 'F'", which was also a classic in its own way. But I think the prayer in "BGAF" wasn't as effective as it was here.

Last edited:
Another great in-depth look at a great episode Tibor. I never found this episode to be religious I always thought of it just as a episode about your soul and the consequences of losing it. This episode is truly one of the best pieces of writing in TV history. It's soo good.

Very good analysis. I personally consider myself an aethiest (at least in the sense that I wont rule out the possibility of a supreme being, but only in the sense that just about anything is somewhat possible, and I consider it very unlikely), but still found this episode to very interesting and philosophical, on a level very rarely found in the television medium (only a few other things, like Futurama's "Godfellas" match this episode). The ending in particular is intriguing because it lets the viewer decide what really happened, as you said. Did God provide Bart's soul back, or was it Lisa's deed? Perhaps a little of both? Its interesting without being preachy or in-your-face (unlike the abysymal Pray Anything, for example), and gives the viewer a little something to think about even. Also agreed with your comments on the direction. Its just truly fantastic, with lots of subtle and cinematic touches that easily rival many Hollywood movies. The timing is really very sophisticated, and unlike most television animation is used not only to make jokes work, but also to help make it a cinematicish, enthralling experience.

And on top of all the things you and I have said, the episode is also hilarious, and "A" worthy for that alone. That's the mark of a true classic.

Tibor said:
I would also say that the entire episode has deep symbolism:

- The hostile nature of nearly everything around him (his pets, the menacing automatic door at the Kwik-E-Mart, the pesticide man at the Van Houten's, the street cleaner) when he fears he actually has lost his soul.

- Bart's desperate chase throughout the third act, which is IMO paralleling a personal search.

I should also add Marge's extremely unsettling appraisal of Bart at bedtime ("Oh, honey, you're not a monster.")

My personal favorite episode. I want to type something, but I think Tibor has covered everything. Good work.
One thing I would like to add is the awesome art direction. This episode has a very surreal feel to it, its unlike any other episode. The thing that I really liked was the eerie distance shots. Like when Bart left the Kwik-E-Mart, theres an aerial shot of Bart leaving, with Apu over the PA repeating "Sanjay to the entrance with a windex. Sanjay to the entrance with a windex". Theres something very unsettling about it. The same technique is used later in the episode, this time its an aerial view of Bart leaving Milhouses, the only sound being Milhouses laughter. The technique is used once more, this time its when Bart runs out of Moes and we can hear Homer shouting "Run boy! Run for your life!"
These shots were kind of creepy and really added to the strange and surreal feeling that this episode has throughout.
Personally, I find this episode to be the most accomplished episode in the entire series.
Jim

Good stuff Tibor.

You didn't mention the dream scenes. I feel these are just as genius an abstraction of the concept of a soul as the piece of paper is. It's surreal, but at the same time such a simple, straightforward idea - as you said, it's clear this ep is "not be examining the concept of a soul from the standpoint of organized religion." and the dream scenes are very indicative of this. Whereas organized religions tend to talk about the soul in a very vague, problematic, even manipulative way, the dream scenes are simple, clear and magnificently effective. And what you mentioned about the benefits of working the story through an innocent child's viewpoint is relevant here - the first dream scene is actually deeply disturbing if you think about it, but because it's played out with children, using Sherri & Terri's skiprope rhyme, Ralph on the seesaw, Nelson's "i'm still behind ya", and such whimsical imagery as the odd mystical Wizard-Of-Oz-esque castle thing on the horizon (what is it? you decide) it manages to stay away from being too heavy-handed. It's more thought-provoking than it is disturbing. Anything similar, involving adults, would surely be the other way around.

Also, I love Lisa's role in this story. She warns Bart after he sells his soul, and she "tests" him - rather like a spiritual guide, though this is not in any way shoved in the viewers' face in a heavy-handed way (again, the fact that they are kids helps). But, in particular I love the ending, after she taunts him at the restaurant. Now the timeframe of everything that happens after that is not made clear, but I like to think that she had already bought the piece of paper at that time, and like she hints at in the end, was letting Bart "earn (his soul) through suffering and thought and prayer". This fits in with the "spiritual guide" of the first two acts that I've already mentioned, but in the final act it's far more vague and subversive.

The direction by Wes Archer in this one is exceptional, as has been already mentioned.

Also, I think the musical score plays a major role in this episode too. The sting when Milhouse buys Bart's soul in the church, the dramatic, urgent music during Bart's "search" in the third act, and the music during the dream sequences are all fantastic, and I think the music is always unfairly ignored when it comes to talking about what makes an episode like this great. If you took away the musical score from this episode, it wouldn't be nearly as special.

But of course, one cannot ignore the view of one Christine Tiplady in the Snpp.com capsules......

"A quite unintriguing premise. Sorry, I don't believe in a soul either. No good laughs. Much too predictable. "I sold it to someone last night, someone very interested in a little boy's soul. Can't tell you who." Hmm, I wonder!"

Last edited:
Great analysis guys. I only have a few points to add...

The creepy, washed-out 'kids' play' music of the dream sequences is evocative of "Rosemary's Baby's" theme music, a very different "souls of the innocent children" story.

What really fnny is that so many of Tibors points were raised & addressed previously in Pinsky's book -- but used in very different manners to support the concept of the soul - but in a purely (or at least moreso) pro-religious fashion. Just goes to show, "Eye of the Beholder" & alll that. [Also of note: this is Nancy Cartwright's fave episode, and she sees support for the Church of Scientology in it. Again, the beholder.]

I like Lisa's Dante-esque spirital guide role as well, but I find Milhouse's role in the story far more fascinating. He's still Milhouse, but he functions in the classical role of the devil or serpent, taking the guise of the journey-taker's best friend (a classic myth-motif). He sells out Bart (albeit out of fear & self-concern), and, playing on his friends' obvious weakness/ignorance, he bargains Bart's soul away from him, and through the episode, lords it over him. (The Frank Nelson "Yyyeeeessss" makes it clear that this is not our regular MVH at play here). The fnal Milhouse moment, however, puts him back in his proper perspective: He's a kid who's over the day's adventure, and his own identity again takes a back seat to his miserable, suffocating family's problems (in what, presumedly, should have been a soul-enriching stay-over with the family at his Grandma's).

Also interesting is the "preying on Ralph"/"Cat People" homage. In different cultures, cats are alternately soulless, the only creatures that have souls, and guardians of human souls. Naturally, the acting, timing, animation, and music for this encounter were top-notch.

Like I said with the top 100 episodes thread, the knowledge here is truly impressive. Tibor, that's easily the best piece of Simpsons-related writing I've ever seen, fantastic job man.

I am very impressed with the feedback here, many thought provoking posts.

Mohammed Jafar said:
Good stuff Tibor.

You didn't mention the dream scenes. I feel these are just as genius an abstraction of the concept of a soul as the piece of paper is.

Also the final dream. When he knocks Martin's soul of the boat, I always have a ridiculous smile on my face, because it is simultaneously hilarious and incredibly uplifting to see Bart get that piece of himself back.

The first one, besides the points you brought up, certainly increases the sense of uneasiness and hostility towards Bart. And the very unsettling last bit where he tries to row the boat says a lot about how crippled he is without a soul.

There is no one element in this episode that doesn't sucessfully contribute. Everything blends and weaves in and out perfectly.

Last edited:
Indeed, but so far, nobody's mentioned the Moe subplot, which as detached as it is from the main plot, I feel it is essential in providing a light-hearted element to the episode. The Bart story is probably the darkest, most disturbing Simpsons story ever, and without the balance of the fun subplot, I think it would become a bit overwhelming. It never detracts on the main story either, you never think "oh piss off, get back to the main plot" (which is the case when Homer's fun subplots intrudes on the serious main stories of Girly Edition and Lisa Gets An A), but never seems like it's just intentionally been jammed in for balance either (as some serious/fun plot/subplot balances tend to do - see Little Girl In The Big Ten or Lisa The Simpson).

Standing on its own merits, the family restaurant subplot is a very funny character driven story/humor, but like you said, its major contribution is keeping the episode... dark in a subtle way, rather than a heavy oppressive way, IMO.

On a side note, isn't that a Shakespearean device, introducing comic relief or lighter elements at very tense points in the story?

Last edited:
I think that Bart never lost his soul, but like Tibor said, he had to 'discover it'. It took Lisa to help Bart 're-discover' his soul. I've also always thought that it was one of the noblest things I've ever seen a cartoon do; buy her brother his soul back. I seriously think that's an awesome thing for Lisa to do. I also think this episode really puts every character in a 'smaller' light, and I get the feeling when watching it that there is a God of some sort watching over the actions (though that's not what I neccesarily believe in real life). It also intrigued me how many people actually would want a ten-year-old's soul, and lest we forget the episode is very, very funny, too. I also like the sub-plot.

Great analalysis, Tibor, you never cease to amaze me.

Tibor said:

On a side note, isn't that a Shakespearean device, introducing comic relief or lighter elements at very tense points in the story?

it's a technique that Shakespeare used very frequently, yes. The gravediggers in Hamlet, Dogberry & Verges in Much Ado About Nothing, etc.

Re: Re: Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

ComixFan said:
It's so perfectly akward for him but at the same time it appears comfortable for him. (Not sure if that makes any sense.)

It makes sense. I love Bart Sells His Soul because it shows his character in so many complex emotional situations. I am a huge Bart Simpson fan and get pissed when so many try to view him as this one dimensional character (troublemaker). Usually you can see, if you pay attention, the many sides of Bart when you look at them in different episode. BSHS just smacks you in the face with it. Anytime someone tells me Bart is a boring or just a one sided character, I tell them to watch BSHS and then come talk to me.

Have you ever considered submitting your analysis, both this one and your other two to Chris Pfeiler, speaking of his review? Or at least posting them at alt.tv.simpsons? They are really good and really thorough.

OK, just a few thoughts on your thoughts. Much has already been said, both by yourself and others.

Tibor said:
The most immediate thing established in this episode is that it will not be examining the concept of a soul from the standpoint of organized religion.

- In the earliest scenes, Rev. Lovejoy exploits the children's fear of hell to flush out Bart, which seems to attack a tendency to base faith on fear rather than love. There is also the unmistakable swipe with Milhouse's "What would they have to gain?" and the cut to Lovejoy counting up the day's collection.

Many consider fear of God to be a sign of respect for Him, in all fairness.

But I agree that the scene is more Rev. Lovejoy exploiting his position of authority to manipulate the kids to do his bidding. Rev. Lovejoy's speech, condemning the kids to Hell is reminiscent of other religious figureheads, like Boniface VIII, who supposedly used his authority to determine who goes to Heaven and Hell (through bribes in his case). Beyond that though, it keeps it in context of the child point of view, similar to a teacher punishing (or scolding) a class for the actions of an individual.

- When Milhouse defines the soul for Bart, it's a very childish, simplistic thing. This could be an expression of doubt over an actual physical existence of a soul, or it could be a stab at how the idea of a soul is simplified in organized religion (or both). Concerning the latter, I can't say that it applies universally, but in my experience, the soul isn't meditated on in christian church, it just seems to be 'you' after you die, nothing particularly deep or meaningful, just a part of you that wriggles out your nose and goes to heaven or hell when you expire.

Probably interrelated with each other. The simplification of the soul, often used as a manipulation tool (a la Lovejoy), causes doubt as to both its role in religion and even just its mere existence.

- Bart's line "It's just something they made up to scare you" is particularly important both in relation to the criticism leveled at church as an establishment, and the character decision Bart will soon make. That's probably been his experience with ideas of the soul; it's been presented as a mysterious concept to threaten him, as happened after his prank. Bart's nature is to rebel, and he dismisses the soul as a tool of authority. Interestingly, following this thought, Bart's experience with the church authority is more or less responsible for how he views a 'soul.'

Roger Myers III's comment of Milhouse's role as a tempter is perfectly in place here. Bart's nature is to rebel, yes, but here Milhouse holds all the cards, and conforms to his own whims. Bart is in submission to him, and is manipulated through Milhouse's own childish suggestion for Bart to sell his soul, and plays of Bart's own fear (of proving himself to Milhouse), which Bart himself is unaware of.

Milhouse finally gets to be the dominant one.

- Lisa, as the sage, cites philosophers to shed insight on the nature of the soul, rather than scripture.

Can't really add anything here. Agreed.

I would also say that the entire episode has deep symbolism:

About point two, I don't necessarily interpret the earlier surreal scenes so much about him fearing his lost soul so much as I see it as a catalyst to make him fear losing it. I don't think he actually fears he lost his soul until the prank he and Lisa pull on Homer, where he puts the events together, and hence goes after Milhouse for the soul.

Throughout the episode the notion of a soul is separated from religion, and even God, save for Bart's prayer. One can decide for himself if Bart's prayer had been answered by God. But my interpretation is that for Bart it doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes his prayer WAS answered, even if it was only Lisa that he owes his redemption. My favorite line in this is probably Lisa's last line- "noone is born with a soul, you have to earn it, through suffering and prayer, like you did last night." This captures what I love about the story, a painful and even dark self-realization that concludes with a personal salvation.

Ironically, his own salvation comes from pulling a prank in his dream, the very action that led to his own quest at the beginning of the episode, as well as the prank he and Lisa did to Homer. Which leads to the question: Though Bart may have discovered his soul in the end, has he really changed spiritually as a person?

Once again, I completely agree, Tibor. Good review.

Now, anyways...

In the earliest scenes, Rev. Lovejoy exploits the children's fear of hell to flush out Bart, which seems to attack a tendency to base faith on fear rather than love. There is also the unmistakable swipe with Milhouse's "What would they have to gain?" and the cut to Lovejoy counting up the day's collection.

Agreed. This is a good poke at organised Religion. The chant, which ALL the kids know off-by heart, shows how churchs use religion, particularly heaven and hell to 'scare people straight'. Remember, Bart is 10, with the rest of his class around the same age, so all he has to teach him religion is Sunday School, which generally explains things as do the Commandments, and you'll go to heaven.

True. I know that lots of people associated a 'soul' with something like a ghost, which is pretty much trapped inside you until you die. Milhouse's line that it can drive to the cemetary could be a reference to how many people think that your soul is sent out when you are buried after a funeral, not when you die. Or whatever, thats how I saw it.

Sort of like she did in Dead Putting Society, Lisa uses Philosophy to explain what is happening. This is good, because, returning to your point about a Child's POV, Lisa is 8, so while the philosophy should be alittle to deep for her, she should understand that more than Religion.

I would also like to point out that the humour in this episode is perfect. It seems to be positioned so that when things get a little too deep, it will kind of drag it back up into a light-hearted episode. This means the episode not only has a good storyline, but also enough laughs to make you want to watch it if you are looking for a Humourous episode.

................................................I'll finish this review later because I have to go now, my planet needs me.

Funny - I thought Tibor was separating the Bart plot from the Moe plot on purpose.... but since we're discssing it as an organic whole...

If the Moe plot truly solely functioned as the comic relief for the Groundlings (note: Tibor's Shakespeare allusion was clearly rhetorical, Jafar - though I'm glad you can rattle off examples ;-/ ), it would have only been in small intervals at scene openings and such, and not practically 1/3 to 1/2 of the show.

As it is, it adds subtle contraindicatory elements to the Bart plot, which, as always, deepens & richens to show overall. To wit:

- Can a leopard truly change his spots? The Moe lesson would seem to be, ultimately, no. But you could make the case that Moe was only, in following the Corporate Franchise Family Restaurant (already quite a double oxymoron), Moe was only changing the "trappings" of his establishment, the outside image - not the core, the "soul" of the place (the Bar, but of course, IS Moe). And he planned to do so for material gain - clearly not for any love of entertaining families. As an adult (as opposed to Bart), at the close, Moe is depressed that all is "back to normal", and focuses on the regret. As opposed to Bart, the kid, who, when he is "back to normal" and has his soul back, revels in it - to point of reclaiming the "Joie d'Vivre" that is his and expressing mild bratitude, and laughing a contented cackle. Whereas Moe, as an adult, is so jaded (well, it is Moe, after all) that he can only see futility in his "normal".

- Note the heavy appearances of "Families" in the whole show: There are many families shown together in church in the opening (almost absurdly, shoving Lewis & Ofcr.Lou together, for example), the families at the Feedbag, the Wiggums, and the Van Houten family sleepover. All except OFF, the show's namesake, who get one scene together at Moe's (IIRC), and they're not even the focal family there. Rather, they each fulfill functions (all noted before) as individuals with Bart in this ep, not so much as a family unit - Bart is truly on a personal journey here. Whereas family units are all over this episode - almost as a constant taunting refrain to BOTH Bart & Moe's predicaments.

Wow - this is truly the ep that keeps on giving. On top of that, its got fantastic vocal performances. Maybe that's also why its been the ep of choice for the cast at its few live performances.

Last edited:
Roger Myers III said:
(note: Tibor's Shakespeare allusion was clearly rhetorical, Jafar - though I'm glad you can rattle off examples ;-/ )

I didn't see it as rhetorical, honestly. Does it really matter anyway?

Channel Surfer said:
Which leads to the question: Though Bart may have discovered his soul in the end, has he really changed spiritually as a person?

On the surface it may not seem like he has, but I think Bart now realizes that there's a lot more importance to religion then he originally thought there was. A great thing about the episode is how it shows Bart's innocence and ignorance about religion. I think after this experience he has realized that religion doesn't have to be something tangible and physical that he can actually touch and see.

Mohammed Jafar[/i][b] I didn't see it as rhetorical said:
Have you ever considered submitting your analysis, both this one and your other two to Chris Pfeiler, speaking of his review? Or at least posting them at alt.tv.simpsons? They are really good and really thorough.

I've never posted on a.t.s and I'm not sure how to go about it, but I will try and work it out.

Channel Surfer said:
Roger Myers III's comment of Milhouse's role as a tempter is perfectly in place here. Bart's nature is to rebel, yes, but here Milhouse holds all the cards, and conforms to his own whims. Bart is in submission to him, and is manipulated through Milhouse's own childish suggestion for Bart to sell his soul, and plays of Bart's own fear (of proving himself to Milhouse), which Bart himself is unaware of.

So true, the 'serpent' parallel is far to clear to ignore here. Bart's line "Any time chummmmmmmm....p." is indicative of the throwback to classic legend that I mentioned in relation to another element (the soul paper), where the main character attempts to cheat the devil.

Channel Surfer said:
About point two, I don't necessarily interpret the earlier surreal scenes so much about him fearing his lost soul so much as I see it as a catalyst to make him fear losing it. I don't think he actually fears he lost his soul until the prank he and Lisa pull on Homer, where he puts the events together, and hence goes after Milhouse for the soul.

Yeah, that's what I meant, though my wording is a bit unclear. It builded from that to the I&S and Homer scene.

Channel Surfer said:
Ironically, his own salvation comes from pulling a prank in his dream, the very action that led to his own quest at the beginning of the episode, as well as the prank he and Lisa did to Homer. Which leads to the question: Though Bart may have discovered his soul in the end, has he really changed spiritually as a person?

That's a very intriguing question. Most Simpsons episodes are self contained, so we don't get to see a follow up on it. From the dream, it's clear that the 'essence' of Bart is certainly back, but I suppose it's up to speculation what reprecussions it has on his faith.

Another point that just hit me in the face like a brick is the fact that through all the episode, Bart's fear of not having a soul is not based on a religious standard, such as a fear of Hell. Though I'm not sure what the consequences would be for not posessing a soul in organized religion. In any case, it isn't put in that context. He's missing something that's an important part of him, it is him.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

Tibor said:
It was not really a rhetorical question, but I have read a few of his plays and noticed this device, but was wondering if it was a consistent theme in his body of work.

Well that was what I thought. More often than not his plays have some sort of light comic subsection. That's not to say the main parts of his plays aren't funny, they are, but even in the funniest cerebral plays there is a more light-hearted comic "subplot" of sorts (Much Ado About Nothing)

But Roger Myers III can claim a little "point" against me if he wishes. I can't see his motivation, but I couldn't care less anyway.

Originally posted by Tibor I've never posted on a.t.s and I'm not sure how to go about it, but I will try and work it out.

I wouldn't go to any trouble, it's worth it. As Simpson Purist mentioned in the 100 Best Episodes thread, ATS is a waste of time these days. The last time Chris P posted an in-depth review (Summer of 4 ft 2) the only two replies were from me, and someone who quoted Homer's line from after the movie in The Joy Of Sect. I would doubt you would get much, if any, feedback. It wouldn't do any harm, but don't go to a lot of trouble. you can post at www.deja.com

Originally posted by Tibor So true, the 'serpent' parallel is far to clear to ignore here. Bart's line "Any time chummmmmmmm....p." is indicative of the throwback to classic legend that I mentioned in relation to another element (the soul paper), where the main character attempts to cheat the devil.

I'm not too hot on biblical/theological stuff (I can get by but not really), is there some kind of parallel for Lisa's role similar to the serpent parallel for Milhouse's role?

Originally posted by ComixFan On the surface it may not seem like he has, but I think Bart now realizes that there's a lot more importance to religion then he originally thought there was. A great thing about the episode is how it shows Bart's innocence and ignorance about religion. I think after this experience he has realized that religion doesn't have to be something tangible and physical that he can actually touch and see.

Originally posted by Tibor That's a very intriguing question. Most Simpsons episodes are self contained, so we don't get to see a follow up on it. From the dream, it's clear that the 'essence' of Bart is certainly back, but I suppose it's up to speculation what reprecussions it has on his faith.

To be honest, I don't feel Bart "learns" or "realizes" anything. I don't agree with ComixFan at all. I see the spiritual "journey" as self-contained within this episode. I mean, with all respect to the complexity of his character, I really don't think he would hold any kind of respect for religion, or that his character would experience any real repurcissions from this episode, despite the fact that he did eventually resort to prayer and refer to "that good stuff". I think it's a bit like the scene in I & S The Movie where after being forced to stay in his room with no supper, he's a few words away from changing his ways yet gets an easy, convienient way out as Homer comes in. Not a direct parallel, but I think it's an apt comparison. I don't think Bart ever "learns". He's not "smart" in that way - he's more of a live-for-the-moment type person. He pulls a prank, it backfires. Doesn't stop him pulling another one, does it? This has been emphasised over and over again throughout the series. And I think him eating the piece of paper seems to suggest he's not letting it escape no matter what he does, rather than just resolving not to "lose" it again like he did at the start.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

Mohammed Jafar said:
I'm not too hot on biblical/theological stuff (I can get by but not really), is there some kind of parallel for Lisa's role similar to the serpent parallel for Milhouse's role?

To be honest, my trivial Biblical knowledge is fairly limited, but in Genesis, there was no conscience opposed to the tempter (correct me if I'm wrong). However, part of my parallel lies not in the Bible, but in folk stories/lore like The Devil and Tom Walker. (What would go on to support this was that Milhouse not only pulled one over on him, but Bart's side of the deal was ultimately pretty disappointing- "I wasted five bucks on these!")

Mohammed Jafar said:
To be honest, I don't feel Bart "learns" or "realizes" anything. I don't agree with ComixFan at all. I see the spiritual "journey" as self-contained within this episode. I mean, with all respect to the complexity of his character, I really don't think he would hold any kind of respect for religion, or that his character would experience any real repurcissions from this episode, despite the fact that he did eventually resort to prayer and refer to "that good stuff". I think it's a bit like the scene in I & S The Movie where after being forced to stay in his room with no supper, he's a few words away from changing his ways yet gets an easy, convienient way out as Homer comes in. Not a direct parallel, but I think it's an apt comparison. I don't think Bart ever "learns". He's not "smart" in that way - he's more of a live-for-the-moment type person. He pulls a prank, it backfires. Doesn't stop him pulling another one, does it? This has been emphasised over and over again throughout the series. And I think him eating the piece of paper seems to suggest he's not letting it escape no matter what he does, rather than just resolving not to "lose" it again like he did at the start. [/B]

I'd say that just with the nature of a child, and their ability to put unpleasant experiences behind them that he wouldn't change. Drawing from my experiences with religion as a small child, I could remember being gravely afraid of bad things like Hell that the preacher talked about Sunday morning and then by Sunday afternoon completely forget. I mean, everyone seems to forget so easily, but the mind of a child just wouldn't dwell on it overmuch.

Last edited:
Please, please - I apologize to MJ for the eye-roll!! I don't want to poison the thread - Enough - no "points" were being scored, so don't take it personally - I'm still ne here, so you shouldn't care enough to post "I couldn't care less" - its an unnecessary oroboros.

Tibor, is "The Devil & Tom Walker" a different version, or original telling, of "The Devil & Daniel Webster?" (I seen to remember Tom Walker as being an American Folklore alternate name for the Devil. But I'm sketchy on the tale, obviously

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

Mohammed Jafar said:
I don't agree with ComixFan at all. I see the spiritual "journey" as self-contained within this episode. I mean, with all respect to the complexity of his character, I really don't think he would hold any kind of respect for religion, or that his character would experience any real repurcissions from this episode, despite the fact that he did eventually resort to prayer and refer to "that good stuff". I think it's a bit like the scene in I & S The Movie where after being forced to stay in his room with no supper, he's a few words away from changing his ways yet gets an easy, convienient way out as Homer comes in. Not a direct parallel, but I think it's an apt comparison. I don't think Bart ever "learns". He's not "smart" in that way - he's more of a live-for-the-moment type person. He pulls a prank, it backfires. Doesn't stop him pulling another one, does it? This has been emphasised over and over again throughout the series. And I think him eating the piece of paper seems to suggest he's not letting it escape no matter what he does, rather than just resolving not to "lose" it again like he did at the start.

Hmmm, yeah, I guess you probably are right.

Roger Myers III said:
Tibor, is "The Devil & Tom Walker" a different version, or original telling, of "The Devil & Daniel Webster?" (I seen to remember Tom Walker as being an American Folklore alternate name for the Devil. But I'm sketchy on the tale, obviously

They're minor, but its more for those who haven't read the stories.

They're similar, but I believe they're different stories. While both stories have the main characters exchange a deal with the devil for wealth, the overall tones (and characters) are a bit different. "The Devil and Daniel Webster", despite having a somewhat dark ending, is more uplifting in tone, with the farmer escaping his deal with the Devil because of Webster's defense, as well as Webster overcoming the knowledge of his grim future. In "The Devil and Tom Walker", Walker's own arrogance with his awkward wealth is his own demise, and ends with the devil winning out.

Also, the characters themselves are a bit different. The farmer in "The Devil and Daniel Webster" is more unlucky then greedy, trying to create a stable life off his meager farm. Tom Walker in "The Devil and Tom Walker" is generally more greedy in nature, from the beginning when attempting to learn of his wife's loot, to the ending when he has become prosperous. 

Hmmm... come to think of it...

Bart loses his "soul" to Milhouse due to his arrogance/greed and goes on a personal journey to get it back, only to realize that he can't. Lisa makes a personal sacrifice (well, ok, five bucks) to buy back his "soul" out of her love for Bart. If we're looking at this from a biblical perspective, Lisa's act of compassion/mercy does remind me of a certain savior guy.

wow, OK then. that's.....radical, to say the least.

by the way, I don't think Bart selling his soul to Milhouse was anything to do with greed. After all, it is only $5, and he didn't seem concerned about the price ("how much you got?"). I think he was selling entirely out of arrogance/mischief/whimsy.

Back