Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2/5 Homer Goes Into Space? WTF?!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5 Never Should Have Been Made

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Charmy

Stonecutter
I just got finished watching this episode, and I was reminded just how good it is. Probably the most unrealistic 'Homer Gets a Job' episode in terms of the concept, but in all works in a way thats really amazing. The carbon rod is a good laugh (I'll show you inanimate!) and it mocks the NASA progam rather nicely. I give it a 5/5.

What do you guys think?

I always thought this was the most popular episode before I started posting on Simpsons message boards and stuff.

It's definitely a classic and gets a 5/5 from me.

Nice easy-viewing episode. Great outing for Barney especially. Homer being shot into space sounds wacky at first but it is actually believable, to the writers' credit. Loved the whole carbon rod thing! A-

Yes, it's wacky. Yes, it's another Homer gets a new job episode. Yes, it ignored most of the main characters (and minor ones, for that matter). But I must say it's an enjoyable episode. I find it to be one of the better season 5 episodes. It starts off well with the worker of the week award scene. The show is able to explain how Homer becomes an astronaut, not through some stupid scheme, but through a real life situation of dying interest in space exploration. His well timed phone call gave them an idea they had to cash in on. The plot was well paced, as the plot unfolds in the first act to go into full swing about halfway through the episode. Jokes were well placed and hilarious, as there are shots taken at NASA, along with some decent sight gags and some clever jokes as well. Not to mention the quote in my sig. And the potato chip scene is still one of my favorites. However, the episode had a few problems as well. Marge's conern for Homer and fear he may not make it was not played out to it's full potential, and her fear was presented as a joke, which kinda ruined it. The scene featuring James Taylor provided one of the worse guest appearances of the classic era, as he really served little purpose other than to get in there and play a song. The ending wasn't particularly clever eeither, and could have been executed better. All things considered though, this episode keeps me interested all the way through, and that's what counts. B+

Deep Space Homer is one of my all time favorite Simpsons episodes. (It’s in my top ten) It was a “wacky” episode, but in a fun (and some what believable) manner. I haven’t seen it in a while but from what I can remember most if not all of the jokes and gags hit right on target. The NASA scientist in the episode is one of my favorite one-time characters ever. I give Deep Space Homer an A+.

My 4th favorite Simpsons episode. Very easy to follow episode, very funny, great space satire/parody, and who could forget the Inanimate Carbon Rod! The potato chip scene is one that has always stuck out in my mind and is one of my favorites. The beginning was really funny, with Homer and Barney at space training. Who could forget the memorable line "Default! The 2 sweetest words in the English language! De-fault! De-fault!" A hands-down 10/10, A+ episode.

Very wacky, but a classic nontheless with some great jokes - A

Very wacky and kind of stupid at times, but it did have some nice clever bits about the Space Program, so that helps it a little bit. B+

Some great gags in the first act.
But to me, it gets a little dull from when they aboard the rocket. The potato chips scene, in particular -although nicely done to fit in with the music- takes too much time.

This plot is rather unlikely, but at the same time, very likeable, about Homer being selected as the first 'average' American to go into outer space. So, not entirely realistic, but very fun, and very funny. I could watch Homer eating potato chips to the tune of the Blue Danube over and over again without getting tired. Some good satire of the overreacting media, and some good references to films, in particular, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

One of the weirdest episodes ever, and one of the funniest ever. 5/5, and it´s in my top 30 :)

It may be a wacky adventure, but it's downright funny. The laughs just keep coming and that's what makes it stand out. You'll never get tired of this one.

A+

Some stuff: I loved Homer's dynamic with the other astronaut, who's name escapes me. 'If I'm going down I'm taking you to hell with me'. Unlike Dondelinger, I felt James Taylor's cameo strangely managed to fit into an already strange episode. I thought naming the shuttle after one of the most unsafe cars ever built was great.

That's about all for now. :)

Plot wise, it's highly reminiscent of a Scully era episode. What saves it from falling apart though, is that its content is surprisingly down to earth and it has a cohesive theme (Homer feeling unimportant) running throughout. NASA's search for a "blue collared slob" is a cleverly satirical plot devise that is handled in a believable enough manner. For an uber-wacky season five episode though, it's unusually dull and the humor overall, lacks a certain punch. Good, but perhaps a little overrated.

Grade: B

A very funny episode. Lots of great gags. Homer doing flips while he eats potato chips, Homer crashing into the ant farm , and Homer Singing the Golden Grahams theme while the ship is on fire heading for earth.
This episode gets a 9/10 on the laugh-o-meter. Grade A-

3/5. I know it's from a golden season, and I laughed alot while watching it, but it just isn't superior material for me. There was that great moment when Homer ate the chips, but for most of the episode Homer was either annoying or too stupid. The plot of this episode was just too wacky. Season 5 was a classic, but this episode was not so classic.

A fun episode with more than enough decent commentary, but the characterisation is far too thin, and it's just not as funny as most season 5 episodes. A-

i think that's really a great Homer episode.
Also great to see Barney in a bigger role. The guest appearance of James Taylor wasn't bad imo, that made the scene with the chips and ants in the space ship even more hilarious.

A-

Back