R&R Take My Wife Sleaze

Rate this craporama

• Total voters

Veryjammy

Stonecutter
Wow. I'd only seen this once before and saw it for the second time tonight. What an absolutely terrible episode. Everything that could go wrong in a Scully episode does - Homer's a complete ass, he has a new 'hilarious' interest, there's a non-existent plot that mutates into a tedious action scene, the animation is awful. And worst of all, I can hand on my heart say I half-smiled twice. Even episodes like KTAAR had better joke-writing than this. And god that montage of Homer and Bart was crap, at least Jean puts effort into his. I'd pretty much forgotten about this episode in the grand scheme of things but it now comes crashing into my worst 10 ever. Just hopeless.

F

I won't say much because I haven't seen it for a while and I just caught the end today. What I did see though is really awful, crazy needless violence, I didn't find the cutaway to Homer lying on the floor that funny at all. I do remember liking the opening with Wolfguy Jack.

DB>B- I remember enjoying it. The plot was a bit messed but it was pretty funny. It'll need a re-watch.

Whoops! I got mixed up, I was thinking of Brake My Wife, Please!! :D

I was wondering why everyone was giving it a low mark, not that BMWP is great, but it isn't terrible. I wasn't really reading the reviews (skim reading) and was wondering what the Dennis the Mennace scene was about!

I havn't seen this in a long long long time, so it won't be fair to comment.

Last edited:
I also watched it tonight, and have to agree with Veryjammy. The episode is dire, and didn't only caused me to laugh at how bad it is.

1/5

Eep...briefly confused it with "Brake My Wife, Please" and clicked 1/5, which is what I'd give that. This, though, still doesn't deserve anything high, a 2/5 at best. The second and third acts are absolutely atrocious, and the few decent moments in the first act are too unmemorable for me to even remember them (Did that even make sense to anybody else?).

D

D- Everything before the real Bike gang was introduced saves it from an F. The "You said no more brooms" line and "How about the Christ Punchers along with Ned's uncomfortableness. was good.

Marge was awful in the episode. She's extremely mad at a picture of her sleeping in some magazine but has no objects to 15 guys kidnapping her. :uhh:

Last edited:
Most of it was boring. I can barely sit thru the whole episode, and only recall a few biker jokes that were funny.

2/5

Here is a quote from Ondre Lombard of all people which I find extraordinary:

"Take My Wife Sleaze was a well-produced and funny episode that did not overemphasize on things that wouldn't go far (like Homer in general, and his biker gang), but rather goes places, and within confines of reality, too. (A sort of reality, anyway.) It's refreshing to see Marge act as a lead character again instead of Homer's soundboard, and it's also refreshing to see good direction and good animation and decent character design. A solid episode. (B)"

1/5 - Really horrendous episode. There's maybe 2 or 3 mildly funny moments that barely save it from getting a solid F.

the scenes with homer and his gang roaming springfield are fucking hysterical ("oink oink oink" "guys, i gotta empty my grassbag!"), and there are some ok lines scattered throughout (i liked bart meeting dennis the menace and uh... hmm). overall though, yeah, it's a pointless mess with limited characterization and poor humor D+

Let's see:

First take a stupid plot, add 4 cups of Jerkass Homer (it's okay if you put in more) add a ridiculous ending and a pointless guest star (Jay North) and you have the recipe for a great Scully episode.

Pointless mess of an episode. The oh so hilarious adventures of Captain Wacky and ffriends never work for me. It has terrible humor, terrible plotline, and terrible characterization.Most of Homer's hee-larious one-liners are terrible. Most of humor of this episode comes from extremely low-brow jokes which is a worrying phenomenon in any OFF episode. However, I did chuckle at Bart finding Dennis The Menace completely lame. D

Haha I forgot about Dennis The Menace, that did make me laugh actually. Still, that makes one good joke in 22 minutes.

Oh. I liked it. The laughter factor here was considerably higher than most of Season 11, and to me, the animation seemed fluid and overall well done. I thought John Goodman and Henry Winkler did well in their roles as Meathook and Ramrod, though I wasn't that fond of Jay North or NBRQ (who?) Stuff that made me laugh included the dance at the 50s diner, actual year may vary, for current year, please consult a calendar, the discussion over what to call the biker gang, the way Homer's gang act as if they were rebellious teenagers, Marge's pet peeves including underpants, pedestrians and justice, "oh man, to get all that, you gotta kill, like fifty people," "ma'am, I killed my pencil," "BROKE, you BROKE your pencil," "I broke him," the swashbuckling fight using motorcycles as if they were swords (I shouldn't like this, but I did), the Guinness Book of World Records, and more. Okay, it ain't great, a lot of it is very silly, but nobody does silly like Swartzwelder does, and when you have a season of season eleven's quality, this is easily in my top five for the season.

Mira said:
D-

Marge was awful in the episode. She's extremely mad at a picture of her sleeping in some magazine but has no objects to 15 guys kidnapping her. :uhh:

Well, I don't know what episode YOU were watching.

It was OK, I guess. Probably one of the better S11 episodes. If it has any problem, its that the good parts are too far spaced out.

I was watching the one where she didn't really care that she got kidnapped by a bike gang, and was relatively nice to them, cooking and washing clothes for them and kind of had no personality and was Homer's wife throughout the whole episode instead of Marge. That one.

OK, it did make me laugh - 6 times, actually. I liked the "actual year may vary" line, the names chosen for the club (Hell's Satans, Devil's Pals, Christ Punchers) were all funny, I laughed at Homer eating his clothing for some reason, and the biggest laugh I had in the episode was when Bart put the tack back in the back of Homer's head.

But laughing 0 times at this episode would make me give it 0/5, and there's absolutely nothing else good about it. "Crapfest" is a good name for it; I demand to know who stole Swartzwelder's name and tried to pass this one off as one of his.

1/5

I think I agree verbatim with this guy's review from snpp:

All the wit, subtlety, clever dialogue, and charming characters The Simpsons is known and loved for are absent from this loud, raucous, obnoxious, hollow, confusing, painfully dumb, predictable, freakishly unfunny script. The attempt at comedy here seems founded on the idea of driving motorcycles indoors and flat, unexamined biker movie stereotypes, peppered with warped retreads of classic Simpsons scenes. The season 10 trends of wildly inconsistent quality and all-time worst episodes written by long-time writer John Swartzwelder return. His drafts are rumored to be rewritten by staff only now, and seem shamefully filled with the least inspired bits deemed not good enough for their own scripts. (D)

D is about right.

Mira said:
I was watching the one where she didn't really care that she got kidnapped by a bike gang, and was relatively nice to them, cooking and washing clothes for them and kind of had no personality and was Homer's wife throughout the whole episode instead of Marge. That one.

Sorry, don't know that one.

Well, everything before the bikers showed up was actually pretty good: "Actual year may vary!", most of the dancing scenes, Homer thinking of gang names, Homer's gang and the broom gag were all funny. It's just the stuff after that was pretty inexcusable like the bikers trashing the house, the fight scenes, and pretty much everything else. I'd probably give it a C overall.

I don't remember many of this but I pretty much agree with George Cauldron on this one.

"oh man, to get all that, you gotta kill, like fifty people," "ma'am, I killed my pencil," "BROKE, you BROKE your pencil," "I broke him,"

I agree, these are among the most memorable lines of season 11.

Veryjammy said:
Thanks to whichever idiot guest voted 15 times for 5/5!

35.jpg

Some good things here and there (Dennis the Menace, the use of the song "Me and the Boys", some gags...) but overall, a bad episode.

2/5

Veryjammy said:
Haha I forgot about Dennis The Menace, that did make me laugh actually. Still, that makes one good joke in 22 minutes.

I agree. I remember reading in Simpsons comics royale about how disappointing Matt Groening was with the original Dennis the menace, and this was such an obvious bit of criticism that it made me LOL. Anyway, as Veryjammy said, that's the only good joke in the episode.

Plus, this ep also includes one of the things which made me really hate season 11.

04202002103726.jpg

Behold, jerkass Homer in all his horrible glory. And for anyone who found that funny, trust me, it was not funny for a certain autistic Lovejoy fan who had been waiting for this church sequence for most of season 11 (after being pissed off with the earlier episodes). :angry:

Back