Votes: 14 12.1%
  • 2/5

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Starbucks Exec

Area Man
In my opinion, this was the last great THOH episode, maintaining a steady balance between creepiness and LOL humour. The first segment, 'The Homega Man', has Homer in a confrontation with mutant versions of certain Springfield residents after Springfield is wiped out by a nuke fired by the angry French. The segment was funny and the mutant Burns, Hibbert, Mel etc. were fun to see. I loved seeing the 'Intel Inside' logo on the missile, and Homer living it up after everyone else had been reduced to skeletons. The second segment, 'Fly vs. Fly', gives us a decent Frink scene, some cool sci-fi zaniness and a well-done ending confrontation. And I really enjoyed seeing the Bouvier clan as witches in 'Easy-Bake Coven'. The trial scene stood out in particular, and Captain McCallister provided a good moment. All in all, an underrated episode. A

Last edited:
Damn. Forgot to include a poll. That'll teach me to post a review after I've been drinking. Actually, the funny thing was that as the review was being posted, I realised, 'Noooooo! Forgot the poll!' and hit the 'stop' button on my browser....a fraction of a second too late...D'oh! :)

The Homega Man - 5/5
Fly vs. Fly - 5/5
Easy Bake Coven - 3/5

Overall - 4/5. The first two segments were great, very well-written and funny. Easy Bake Coven I didn't think was very funny, although it was a good moment seeing the Bouviers as witches. I agree, it is an underrated THoH overall.

The Homega Man and Fly vs. Fly are up there on my list as far as THOH eps go. My favorite THOH segment has to be the shinnin. Shhh...you want to get sued?

4/5 for THOH VIII

The Homega man was really good, Fly vs Fly had its moments as well as Easy Bake Coven.

Overall, it give it 4/5

Three good stories here. Nothing groundbreakingly special, but thankfully, no turkeys either.
The opening sequence with the Fox Censor was probably the best seen in a Halloween special. Onto the actual material:

The Homega Man featuring Homer as the last man alive in Springfield was painfully funny. His antics including dancing naked in church, kicking the head off a man in front of him at the theater, just great. Also, there was room for a little emotion at Homer's sadness at his family's death. And in a Halloween special, too. Nicely done.

Fly VS. Fly was equally strong, featuring some very good angles and direction, superbly animated. Just as funny as the segment preceding it, most of the jokes again are courtesy of Homer. His ideas for use of the machine (to use the toilet, climb stairs) were hilarious, as was his inadvertently punching Lisa in the face while using the toilet. The ending of this segment was wickedly unexpected, Homer choosing to use the axe on Bart, and not on the machine. Great black humor there.

Easy Bake Coven was, of the three, the least strong. I won't say that it was the worst, because it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as amusing as the previous two segments. Aside from the "Derwood" line and "She's a witch!" a lot of this part was quite dull, or immature, ie: Marge turning Lou and Eddie into a snowman and a fairy. The plot was weak and insipid, and is practically a one-joke story. That said, it wasn't bad, and the story of how it became the first Halloween ever was interesting enough.

On the whole, a good Treehouse of Horror. Nowhere near the worst by far, but not the best, all the same.

The Homega Man-4/5
Fly Vs. Fly-5/5
Easy Bake Coven-3/5

Overall:4/5

A very underrated THOH, it is never mentioned as one of the most enjoyable, and yet it is.

Homega Man. Great segment, one of the best segments there is. Homer's activities he does when everyone is dead is hilarious: dancing naked in church to name one. I thought that Homer punching Kirk's skull and reducing it to dust was funny. The ending was great, good solid segment.

Fly vs. Fly. Another great segment, most gags were centered around Homer, and its great to see how Homer uses the machine to his advantage. Notable gags- punching Lisa, getting to wrong can out of the fridge.

Easy Bake Coven. Weakest of the three, because it was slightly dull, but did have its moments:- The three witches Patty, Selma and Marge, although Marge does miss her family, so there is still slight traits of her old character. Okay segement.

Overall: B+/A-

I really liked this one.
Homega Man was fun, "Oh, I wasted by life." was hilarious, as was Homer's antics once everyone had died. The zombies were funny and the ending was wrapped up very well.
Fly vs Fly was probably the weakest of the three but still good. Frink in his yard sale was funny, as was Homer trying out his matter transporter. Bart transforming into the half fly was done pretty well. The ending was a little weird though.
Easy Bake Coven was my favourite. Marge as a witch was done very well, as was Patty and Selma. Everyone accusing everyone of being a witch was hilarious, as was Bart's "Must...drop...pantaloons!". The story of how Halloween started was excellent. The ending was again a little weird but it didn't detract from the episode. Overall, great! A-

I'll review this by segments.

The Homega Man: Pretty cool and funny, it reminded me on the zombies one from the 1993 Treehouse of Horror. It was a cool episode and pretty good, that's really all I have to say about it.
Fly Vs. Fly: The best of 1997's Treehouse of Horror. That machine would be so cool if it existed in real life. A good plot, too.
Easy Bake Coven: Nothing great, but for some reason it didn't seem that bad. My least favorite of the 3, but it still was kind of good.

I hate this episode. Tied with VII as being my least favorite TOH of the first 11 seasons. I find it boring, and has only about 2 funny gags. Now I love Season 9; I love its style. But this episode is almost completely devoid of everything that makes me love Season 9. C

The HΩmega Man: A
Fly Vs. Fly: B
Easy-Bake Coven: B+

Good effort but I thought the next season's THOH was better.

The Homega Man - A
Fly vs. Fly - A
Easy Bake Coven - B

Overall: A-

It's a good Halloween episode. I like ''The Homega Man'' the most, it's sooo Simpson - Halloweeny :D

Bart Simpson: Lisa Simpson!
Lisa Simpson: Bart, quit it!
Bart Simpson: She put a spell on me!
[Bart pretend to be on a spell]
Bart Simpson: Must... drop... panaloons.

Homer Simpson: Well, we were lucky this time. But it's all too clear that some things in this universe... aren't meant to be trifled with.
[Homer pulls up an axe]
Marge Simpson: Homer, what are you doing?
Homer Simpson: Something I should have done a long time ago.
[now turns on Bart with his axe]
Homer Simpson: I'll teach you to mess with my machine!
[Bart begins screaming and running while Homer chase him]
Homer Simpson: I'm gonna chop you good! That cost me 35 cents! You're just making it worse! I promise I won't hurt you! :lol:

[Homer grabs the candleholder]
Homer Simpson: You want me? Come and get me!
Moe: Get him!
Homer Simpson: D'oh!

I really hate this episode, hate it just as much as 'VII'. Totally bland, lacking in humour and ultimately completely devoid of charm as 'VII' was. C

caught this early in the morning today, really good episode. The Homega Man is a good I Am Legend parody, funny but just a little bit too short. Fly Vs. Fly is probably one of my favourite thoh segments, so funny and inventive with what little time it has. I remember not really liking easy bake oven when I used to watch this episode, but it's not as bad as I thought.

A

I only like Fly vs. Fly.

My least favorite seasons 2-10 THOH.

3/5.

I think this might just be my favourite THOH. I found all the segments to be humourous and pretty clever. And it scared me as a kid (fly Bart freaked me out), so that's a plus. solid A- and probably the only THOH to scrape a 5/5.

The first two segments are nearly laughless. No, scratch that. I don't think I laughed once. I think The Homega Man was the worse offender of the two, because at least Fly vs. Fly's plot was interesting (and even kind of scary, which is rare for a THOH, the only other one that freaked me out was Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace). If it weren't for Easy-Bake Coven, this would be one of the worst THOHs. Thankfully, Easy-Bake Coven was a nice enough story with a decent amount of laughs.

The Homega Man: 1/5
Fly vs. Fly: 2/5
Easy-Bake Coven: 4/5

Overall: 2.5/5, bumped up from 2.3333... I'll round it to a 2/5 for the poll, because even Easy-Bake Coven couldn't save the first one.

Seriously? I felt Easy Bake Coven was the most boring thing, well, almost EVER in this show.

Back