Rate and Review "Jaws Wired Shut"

Rate and Review

• Total voters
A fantastic episode from start to the brilliant finish. One of my favourite Jean episodes. A+

The Popeye spoof was hilarious from start to finish, and all the gags about Homer's jaw (e.g him sniffing the steak up his nose) were great. The dance scene was perfect - Homer being polite and being a great husband to Marge - a Homer-Marge marriage scene with nothing wrong. The "Homer and Marge with a 'perfect marriage'" scene is something I love to see - it's why I lvoe Marge's Son Poisoning so much.

Favourite gags:

The whole Popeye spoof
Homer and the steak
"How about Orgasm-ville!"
Otto using the Stop sign to untip his bus
Homer and his glass of milk
"My son still wets the bed"

Bits I didn't like:

The entire Afternoon Yak scene (except Milhouse at the end)

One of the best episodes of the Jean era, and the best episode of Season 13.

Awfully funny.

Bart: "Hey Dad, did the movie start yet?"
Homer: "GGGGRRRWWWWOOORR!!!!"

4/5

One of the best innovative storylines for the rather inconsistent season 13. It was refreshing to finally see a more toned down Homer, someone who learns to communicate with his family while being unable to speak verbally. It also is quite high on gags and sort of tries to define what Homer's impulsive and carefree nature means to the simpson family. However, what the hell with all these blatant sex jokes? These unnecessary sex jokes really detract from an othrwise enjoyable and interesting premises. And unlike you guys, i am not a fan of the popeye stuff in the end. B+

Yeah the Popeye stuff really let it down for me, it was just far too silly a way to resolve an episode, and Marge even getting herself into that situation felt a little contrived to me anyway. A shame because it's an intresting original idea that's just let down by a few things B

Last edited:
This is an episode (like most of seasons 13 and 14) that has aged very well. I've always loved the first act ("START THE MOVIE!") and I recall it every time I go to the cinemas. But when I first watched this episode, I felt the rest of the story dragged. After seeing it in syndication so much, I gotten used to the plot, more of it is memorable, and all the subtle lines and dialoge gags are showing. (I never got the humor behind Hibbert giving medical updates while dancing untill I saw the ep 3 or 4 times). Yeah, great episode, 4/5

One of the best episodes of Season 13 - the Popeye parody is fantastic and the way his broken jaw changes Homer's character is done really well, too. A+

The plot is really disjointed, though there's a great story buried in there. For instance, Marge joining the demolition derby doesn't quite ring true and is a bit abrupt, but it fits in the story well (Homer's place in the family) and there is a history of Marge getting a sudden urge to do something wild (The Springfield Connection). Like many of Selman's efforts, it's disjointed yet it's one of the funniest episodes of the Jean era: the film previews and Homer's subsequent tirade, The View and Popeye parodies, the scenes at the ball, etc, were all great. B+

Bland, unfunny, boring. Pretty much the same problems as the last nine seasons of "The Simpsons". - C

5/5 - Fantastic episode, one of the best in recent years

First time i saw it i thought it was amazing. But after a rewatch i think it drags slightly in the 3rd act. Anyway i still grade it a respectable B

Back