Rate/Review "Bart Has Two Mommies" (HABF07)

How would you rate HABF07?

• Total voters

Channel Surfer

Stonecutter
Ned Flanders wins a new computer that features guest star Sarandon as the "You've Got Mail" voice and he offers it to Marge, as he has no use for it. In return, Marge babysits the Flanders children so that Ned can attend the Left-Handed Convention, where he meets New York Yankees guest star Randy Johnson, who is selling left-handed teddy bears.

With Marge spending so much time at The Flanders', Homer must look after Bart and Lisa. Homer takes the kids to an animal retirement home, but the trip goes awry when Toot-Toot the monkey pulls Bart into her cage and holds him hostage. Marge learns of the kidnapping when it is a breaking news report and she must figure out a way to get her son back.

habf07.jpg

Thread will open after the episode airs.

I give it a 4/5. It started out slow, but got much better in the last two acts.

And that's why you don't pre-judge episodes based on descriptions.

4/5

More to come.

PS: I cannot believe Fox actually showed the zookeeper as "Susan Sarandon" in their ads. Total BS.

Thought it was alright. I think the only thing that didn't really work for me was the whole mill sequence.

Not actually that bad. Probably the best S17 ep. that I've seen so far. Pretty funny jokes. Plot was kinda weak, but I liked the resolution. Loved the screenshots of Homer in the old mill with his head being crushed.

3.5/5 but I gave it a 3

I thought it started out good and ended slow. 4/5 for the second week in a row, although not quite as good as last week's. The best joke was the Flanders to English dictionary.

i usually judge how good an episode is by how fast it seems like it goes...and that half hour went really fast...the episode was very entertaining and funny....4.5/5

I really liked this episode, a lot. The past 2 or 3 episodes have been a little dissapointing to me (although people on this forum still seemed to like them), this show was the first in a couple months that deserves to be one of the best of the season.

5/5

This was the best thing they've done with the Flanders in a while. The same as we've seen Ned lossen up a bit since "Hurrican Neddy", this may be the beginning of the more self-confident Rod and Todd.

The opening was pretty amusing. Nothing too spectacular, though, as they dropped the part about the computer prize right afterwards. The sub-plot with Bart was okay. But it didn't have as strong an impact as the Flanders' story. I did like the way the two plots were tied together in the end.

The episode, as has been the recent norm, had a great story that was brought down some by failed gags; they could've trimmed the last joke at the end of Act 2. I also enjoyed the epilogue with Maude. The episode overall shows promise for what they can do with the Flanders, even six years after Maude died.

4.0/5

5/5-very good episode I liked the jokes about religion in the first act I also laughed at the whole mill sequence even though it was kind of crazy I liked Flanders singing welcome to the jungle with parody lyrics the whole famous animal thing was depressing except for Huggy Bear oh also R.I.P Flipper Nice appearance by Maude Flanders also.

Did anybody think they were going to do a King Kong parody when you saw the monkey go up on the steeple in the 3rd act.

I have some really mixed feelings about this episode. The characterization was really strong. Marge was better than she's been in a long time. I liked that it helped to develop the Flanders kids, and Ned was strong in the episode as well. The jokes were strong for the most part, a few missed, but most of them were right on target. I loved the Christian Clue joke in particular. There were a few too many Homer pain gags for my taste, but they were actually funny. The Modern Times parody was a good example, I liked it because it was a parody that showed what actually would have happened. The biggest problem with the episode was the plot. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particular strong either. This episode just feels like a B episode, both as a grade and the fact that it came after an episode that must have taken a lot of work and the one after it was written by Ricky Gervais, putting a lot of pressure on the staff was well.

I had low expectations going in, but I ended up enjoying it well enough. Many great gags, but one of my faves was Burns looking into the "Hell Mirror". Always good to see Bumblebee Man & Maude, and nice Tom Green dig from Krusty.....

3.5/5

3/5.

I thought the episode was rather poor, especially when compared to the gem last week. I mean, I wasn't watching it and thinking "wow, this sucks" but it did come off as lame to me. It also dragged and there wasn't much substance to the plot. The jokes were ok, but I never laughed out loud and and most of them felt very dry.

The episode wasn't horrible, it was tolerable and it managed throughout. It was just very forgettable in it's mediocrity.

AngryDad33 said:
5/5-very good episode I liked the jokes about religion in the first act I also laughed at the whole mill sequence even though it was kind of crazy I liked Flanders singing welcome to the jungle with parody lyrics the whole famous animal thing was depressing except for Huggy Bear oh also R.I.P Flipper Nice appearance by Maude Flanders also.

Did anybody think they were going to do a King Kong parody when you saw the monkey go up on the steeple in the 3rd act.
The second I saw this I said "King Kong!". I totally thought a parody was coming, but it didn't. I liked seeing the Sunday school teacher in the background of the first act, and Mrs.Wiggum. This opened up a whole new door for the Flanders' and I hope we see more church/Flanders episodes in the near future. I bet that Reverend Lovejoy fan on this site is going crazy with all of the appearances of Lovejoy in this episode. I also enjoyed seeing Lisa as a funny little girl again (we must remember she's eight!).

Last edited:
I liked it, thought it had a solid story with Flanders, and the Bart sub-plot worked well with it. I thought the characterizations were pretty good, and it was nice to see the fun-loving Lisa again. The mill scene and the sarcasm scene were unneeded and too long respectively though. Some of the jokes didn't work too well (the Nelson and Fun Town), but most worked quite well. I voted 3, but I have changed my mind to a 4/5.

Did anyone else see the commercial for iTunes with all the album covers?
Was that not the coolest commercial?

JHutch- Maude showed up during the credits

Probably about a 3.5/5. I ended up voting 4/5.

After reading the preview, I was definitely feeling sketchy about the story. However, the Rod and Todd segments made up for the whole kidnapping storyline, almost. I also like how the episode came together in the end. Numerous elements of the storyline ended up fitting together, such as the callbacks to the church steeple and Rod's (the tall one?) new climbing ability. I especially liked the inclusion of the church steeple at the end, because, aside from the callback, it gave a nice little King Kong parody.

The only thing I'd change is probably Bart's storyline. The whole story is pretty ridiculous; I was more focused on the Marge-Flanders dynamic throughout the episode. I think they should have pushed the animal-stars trip (and subsequent kidnapping) to the third act, eliminating most of the scenes in the cage. I thought it was pretty silly that they couldn't save Bart in Act 2. They could've instead put in a couple scenes highlighting Bart/Marge's relationship, once Marge starts spending time with the Flanders kids. Maybe Bart resents it? I seemed to expect a little more from this kind of parent-child storyline, especially after Bart got all teary in Act 1.

Ah well. Petty squabbles aside, pretty good story. A little silly, but good.

Gags were pretty good all around. I liked the Christian Clue game, the oh-so-dramatic teeter totter music, and Rod's naive admission that he's gay. It's kind of a cheap/immature joke, but hey, it made me laugh. And laughing is good, right?

After seeing all of you giving this episode either 4/5's or 5/5's, I can only conclude that most of you think it is of the same quality as The Seemingly Neverending Story...

Ahem.. :uhh:

4/5. This was the first episode I've seen in a while, and it was surprisingly good. The only thing I really didn't like was the scene with Homer going through the mill.

TheFlandersMan said:
After seeing all of you giving this episode either 4/5's or 5/5's, I can only conclude that most of you think it is of the same quality as The Seemingly Neverending Story...

Ahem.. :uhh:

"Seemingly" had this one in story intrigue and creativity, but tonight's owned it in everything else. The treatment of the Flanders flock during the Jean era has probably been the biggest highlight for me.

"Seemingly" had this one in story intrigue and creativity, but tonight's owned it in everything else. The treatment of the Flanders flock during the Jean era has probably been the biggest highlight for me.

I think that Flanders has had WAY too much screen time in the Jean era. That's just me. And I disagree, this episode has nothing on "Seemingly".

Back