Rate & Review: "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" (DABF22)

How would you rate "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation"?

• 1/5 -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. :(

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • 2/5 -- You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • 3/5 -- Good Times, Bad Times.

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • 4/5 -- It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It).

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • 5/5 -- Paint It, Black. 8-)

Votes: 39 16.0%

• Total voters
Maybe I've watched too many Simpsons episodes, but some of the jokes are predictable. For example the joke about Bart saying IRS, I totally called Homer saying "What IRS"...do you know why? Because they did it like a zillion times before.

Some funny jokes, but it seemed like they took forever to get to the point. Usually the plot is established in the first act, but it took until the middle of the second to do that...and I noticed there was no subplot??!?

The guest stars were funny, with the bass gag and the toe gag, and the Planet Hollywood gag. I also noticed lack of into this episode...eh whatever...there is always next week!

2 out of 5 yo!

Back in the gold ole days this would have gotten a 1.5 but I was rather impressed with what I saw it looked like a step up from season 13. I just think this episode had a bad case of TMG Too Many Guest Stars. But im glad homer went back to his family in the end. Not really that good but a step in the right direction im looking for next week to be better. I give this a 3/5 or 6/10

A decent episode but the plot pretty much sucked with no real progression and absolutely no subplot. It was pretty funny but the plot just wasnt very interesting. I also didn't like homers frog joke at the beginning, pretty stupid.

Overall a decent ep i give it a 6.5/10(voting for 3/5)

Wow!!!!!

This episode was amazing, probably the best one since I am furious yellow.

Act 1
-The car chase scene had me laughing for a long time
-The wallet notes were hilarious
-It was nice to see Homer saying nice things about is famly
Grade 5/5

Act 2
-It seemed that the guest stars were what kept this act going, kinda bothered me
-SSSSSIIMMMPPPPSSSSSOOOOOOONNNNNNN was so funny
-Elvis costello showing out how cool bass is...
4.5/5

Act 3
Satan was probably the funnuest part, from the red eyes to the family car.
-The toe gag also was very funny.
5/5

Couch Gag
-Funny in a weird way
3.5/5

Final Grade 5/5 (Almost)

Jake said:

The guys were molesting the female groupie cutouts and that's NOT perverted? As for Jumping the shark, I'd like to use this quote:

"If you consider the show as nothing but a bunch of stupid drawings of bizarre cartoon clowns you can still enjoy it and laugh about almost every new episode..." -- Chris Philer.

--

Jake

I might watch it again because "molesting" is definitely NOT the word I would use. It looked to be like they were just kissing the cut-outs lightly. Nothing close to last weeks beastiality moment. And by "jump the shark" I ment because they jumped over a shark in the couch gag. I didn't even know of the concept before yesterday and someone had to explain it to me in a thread.

Last edited:
To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. After last week's terrible Halloween ep, I was expecting the worst. While, granted, it was mostly very forgettable, I found myself laughing out loud at a fair number of the gags, and the couch gag left me on the floor. Even those who despised the episode have gotta admit it'll be better than the Blink-182 one coming up later this year. (groan)

Overall? A generous 3/5.

forgetaboutme said:
Even those who despised the episode have gotta admit it'll be better than the Blink-182 one coming up later this year. (groan)

Because you've seen the blink-182 episode right?

Don't prejudge the episode, but even the plot to the Blink-182 episode sounds better and more developped than last night's ep's.

You know what? I think that this episode is a perfect example of a good portion of what is wrong with The Simpsons these days. Whenever someone writes an article about The Simpsons, they mention how "the show has become a place for Celebrities to get publicity and have some fun mocking themselves." and that couldn't be more true. It seems that any episode in which a guest star plays themselves and has a lot of screentime in an episode, the episode seems like it was written around them. Its almost like the guest stars ask to be on the show, and the writers instantly say "ok, we'll start writing an episode based around you and your stardom!" This is why I really hope that guest star episodes like this one only come along once in awhile now.

Simpson Purist said:
Just some questions and answers here:

-Mike Scully did not write Homer The Moe, it was Dana Gould (Poppa's Got...)

my bad. it was the parent rap.

The warmth is gone, the new animation will be hard to get used to

WTH? Several people mentioned about the new animation and how it looks so different.... IT DIDN'T CHANGE YET! It doesn't start till December's Great Louse Detective or Special Edna (depending if Great Louse isn't pushed back in the year). To the best of my knowledge, most of that episode was not digital. Some parts coulda been.

meh. 3rd Grade looks good if not repitive of Lisa wanting to get upped and Bart getting left back/pushed back grade(s).

BG said:

I only said that cuz i thought he wuz dissing the simpsons.

..............Right.

Look before you take shots at a person you know nothing about perhaps you should ask who he is first.

http://members.aol.com/chris84792//simp.htm

This is his website and it has several articles on the show. His veiw is shared by many of the old school fans. He says in a very eloquent manner what many of us feel. It is rather impressive given english is not his native tounge.

If I may offer a bit of advice, and this not to be condescending, spell out the words your writing it's 'because' and 'was' the chatroom slang terminology/spelling doesn't make your arguments look mature or well thought out.

While I do think that Chris Philer's views are a tad extreme, he does have many very good points about the downfall of the show. I consider him to be the ultimate Simpson purist.

I might of chuckled one or two times on this episode. The devil head thing was a little loony tunes like. Homer was the center of the storyline again, and being a jackass again. The family was pushed to the background, and were acting a little strange to me. 2/5

i loved this episode, it was os funny

what i liked:

taxi cab confession
Jagger teaching to dance
nomer getting drunk on other stuff

what i disliked"

tom petty's school song

I liked this ep. It showed some good potential for the season. The guest stars were better than I expected, it had me laughing all the way through. Now I am anxious to see how the new season can stand on its own without the use of five guest stars. I am tempted to give this a 4, maybe a 5/5...

Oh...my...God. I am stunned. That plot was...decent. The characters...were in character. The animation was...good. I laughed! Laughed, for cryin' out loud! :D I haven't continually laughed at any Simpsons episode since Season Eleven. I expected more third-rate crap...but this was actually a decent episode. WOW! I feel like an idiot after all the bitter, angry posts I've made about the current Simpsons stature.

3/5

I wasn't expecting much from this episode but I sure got a lot :D Homer was wacky (something I typically dislike) yet the episode itself was very hilarious. Nothing wrong, nothing I would change much. Great guest stars. 4/5!

i didn't like Lisa in for one or two of her scenes. There was a little too much emphasis put on Lisa's voice. I found myself saying, "Wow... Lisa really must be taking acting lessons." The other scene was less noticeable.

ComixFan15 said:
Oh...my...God. I am stunned. That plot was...decent. The characters...were in character. The animation was...good. I laughed! Laughed, for cryin' out loud! :D I haven't continually laughed at any Simpsons episode since Season Eleven. I expected more third-rate crap...but this was actually a decent episode. WOW! I feel like an idiot after all the bitter, angry posts I've made about the current Simpsons stature.

3/5

So, you've gone over to the dark side, haven't you? ;)

Hmm, an OK episode. The storyline was a bit boring, and I got a little annoyed by Homer acting overly childish. But the guest stars were, honestly, rather fun.

An enjoyable, but forgettable episode.

C+

Kweh...I liked the Taxicab Confessions reference, that's about it. 2/5, no more, (possibly) no less.

Ignorant me! Just found out It's Only Rock n' Roll, But I Like It is a Rolling Stones song! :lol: The writers did a good job with that joke! If you don't get it, it slips by you and you think nothing of it. It actually works on two levels, because I found it kinda funny to begin with because Homer's reaction was like that of a little kid, so it works on two levels. Great joke!

I gave this episode a 4/5. By no means will this episode ever become a classic, but I found myself laughing and there were some truly sincere (or at least I felt there was) emotional moments in this ep.

Like a lot of the people I disliked the Satan's head segment, and I found a few of the guest stars more than a touch annoying (i.e. Petty, Setzer, and especially Kravitz).

One beef I have with previous reviews on this page is the statement that the plot didn't fit together and I have to greatly disagree. Homer gives his blood to try and get drunk faster, when he awakes the next night he and the family see Taxicab Conversations where he is on and says that he loves his family yet can sometimes get on his nerves, he also says that he wanted to be a rock star when he was younger, the family sends Homer to Fantasy Camp, Homer is taught by some rock stars, gets invited to appear on stage, discovers he is only the sound check guy, is stealing the show, rock stars chase after him, it causes a riot, Homer decides that he likes his family better than the rock star life. I thought that it all fitted together perfectly, whether you liked the episode or not is entirely up to you but saying the plot doesn't go together is dumb.

Finally, I believe it was Jake that said that KOTH used their celebrity voices better than OFF. I have to totally disagree with you. Pamela Anderson was good but Kid Rock was totally wasted and added nothing at all to the show. What was he there for? At least on The Simpsons all the celebrity voices had a reason to be on the show, Kid Rock was not.

Anyway those are my thoughts.

Maddog.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FAVORITE EP SO FAR!!! Mick and Keith were HYSTERICAL!!! I loved the voice-overs,and the guests,and the ending,and the songs,and the funny parts,and the...funny parts... :uhh: It was good! :D
FAVE QUOTES:
Keith Richards:Now,before I lock this door,do you have to go to the bathroom?
Mick Jagger:No,I'm fine.

Tom Petty:See that drunk girl speedin' down the street-
Guys:Yeah!
Petty:She's worried 'bout the state of public schools.
Guys:Boo!
Petty:She likes to party,she likes to rock-
Guys:Yeah!
Petty:She prays that our schools don't run out of chalk.
Guys:Boo!

Lenny Kravitz:Hear that,everybody? Apu asked about crotch stuffing.Now,I don't do it.Kenny Loggins does.
Kenny Loginns:I TRUSTED YOU!!! (Runs off crying)

Mick Jagger:SIMPSON!!!

Keith Richards:You know you're all here for one reason-
Homer:To rock!
Keith:Who said that?!
Homer: (Points at Otto)
Keith:That's right,Otto! We're here to rock!

Keith:They're bloody cardboard!
Homer:We know!

Mick:It's only rock n' roll camp.
Homer:But I like it.

Funny as Hell!!! ;-Q

Back