Rate/Review "Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Three Times" (JABF05)

Rate tonight's episode

• Total voters

Binky

Stonecutter
After the Simpsons’ car breaks down, the family tells each other tales of revenge gone wrong. Marge offers a cautionary tale of revenge from 19th-century France, where Homer is charged with treason; Lisa tells of a nerd revenge at Springfield Elementary involving Milhouse leading the nerds to overthrow the bullies; and Bart’s story follows the great crime-fighter Red Revenge.

First segment; 4/5 Second segment; 2/5 Third segment; 1/5 Overall; 2/5
There was a steady decline in the stories. I enjoyed the parts between stories (except for the Rich texan thing). The second segment was a big letdown from what I had expected. This episode had a lot of goofy humour ("wacky"), and many meta-refs. I must admit I really liked the first segment. I know it was horrible, but Burns' line "I violated you many times while you slept" had me laughing.

Last edited:
NerdGlove.gif

"This episode was HORRIBLE."

1/5

The only somewhat funny part was Bart throwing the donut on Homer's grave.

very poor episode. No real funny jokes, too many badish ones, and the stories weren't all that good either. Sadly, I think the funniest thing was the dedication at end.

Lots of random humor, but somehow they made it work. Also plenty of great meta references. The voice acting was pretty weak (most notably Dan's "DATELINE - SPRINGFIELD" character), and the central storyline was a bit too simple. Other than that, many laughs were had.

4/5

Al Jean, thanks for ruining "Who Shot Mr. Burns". The show needs a new showrunner more than ever.

2/5

Not that great, the 1st segment was the best and it got increasilngly worse from there on, once again I didn't laugh out loud. Most importantly, Homer and the Rich Texan are from Connecticut. Woo-Hoo!

1/5. Bartman Begins had it's moments, but this was a truly horrendous, unfunny piece of filth. Willy drinks his own blood as a severed head? WTF. Worst of the season without a doubt.

I think I'm gonna go watch King of the Hill. No matter what, it can't be worse than what I just watched on the Simpsons.

i don't understand the hate for this episode, it had tons of great laughs, the first and third acts were hilarious, while the second one was bad. This was one of the funnier episodes I've seen in a while.

I thought one of the more clever things I noticed were some of the references they had towards many of our critiscms of the show, like the mentioning of a good ending, puns being poor writing, there was another one I forgot, if they were deliberate, then kudos. Now fix it.

The last story was pretty abysmal with a couple of the worst groanders of the entire series (they were meta-references), but the first two acts were okay. C-

I have mixed feelings about this episode. On one hand, all the segments were ok, but none of them really stood out. They all felt like they needed something more. There were some funny jokes, but a number fell flat. Not a particularly strong episode, but not a particularly weak one either. B-

There were a number of great lines in this episode:
How do explain America's war in Iraq?
Stupid, I've already got a life
It turns out we're both from Connecticut

Garbage. I'll be generous and give it a 2.5/5 (rounded down to 2) because the 3rd segment was good.

That Jerk said:
The voice acting was pretty weak (most notably Dan's "DATELINE - SPRINGFIELD" character)

I think Dan did a pretty good job with that character actually. Groundskeeper Willie, on the other hand, sounded way off.

I can't believe no has mentioned this yet, THEY RUINED "WHO SHOT MR. BURNS". NOW IT'S HOMER WHO SHOT HIM, NOT MAGGIE. For fuck sakes, why did they have to do that. It was such a stupid joke too.

Yeah, this episode was kind of shit, nothing really stands out as being that memorable or funny, although I kind of liked when Wiggum made the siren sound

Dear Al Jean,

This is not Family Guy. We really don't need so much random humor. I'd really appreciate it if you try to be more plot-oriented next time. While we're at it, hire some new writers to create better stories for this now-ailing series and stop making non-TOH trilogies, more often than not, they don't work. We, the faithful, kind of deserve it. This effort left me (and maybe a few others) sorely dissapointed. Few laughs were had and the actors sounded bored. Please, be kind and try harder next time, kind sir.

Devoted Always,
Stevie V. Scrivello

PS: You completely lost me with that transvestite joke. And (swallows) HOW COULD YOU RUIN "WHO SHOT MR. BURNS" LIKE THAT?! I...I need some time to seethe quietly.

1.5/5

I wouldn't be surprised if they made that mr. burns joke just to piss some fans off.

What were some of you guys expecting with this episode? Out of how many times has a trilogy story episode ever invoked good plot or strong emotion? This was made purely for humour, and there was some classic stuff here, alot of good stuff from the first and third act.

This episode overall was horrible and the worst of the season. There were not any memorable jokes and I barely laughed throughout the whole episode. The stories weren't done well and the wrap-arounds were even worse. The best part IMO was the star wars tribute in the end.

These three part episodes are really getting old and need to stop. First off, its just plain lazy writing because they take already established stories, add Simpson characters and throw in a few jokes. Second, there isn't enough time to tell these stories and they come off as rushed. Especially considering the episodes are so short nowadays. Come on, how can they expect to tell the entire Monte Cristo story in less than 7 minutes and not make it come off as rushed.

This is the absolute worst episode in an otherwise pretty good season. The only other episode I really disliked was Jazzy and the Pussycats and I thought this one was even worse.

1/5

Well, by now i've kind of gotten used to these shitty episodes, so this episode came as no surprise. The Bartman Segment was great, but everything else blew. My grading system for 3 part episodes consists of 3 points for each segment and then 1 for the rap around. I'd give Bartman Begins a 2.5/3, a 1.5/3 for Revenge of the Geeks, and a .5/3 for The Monte Cristo one. I guess I will be generous and give the rap-around a .5/1 just because the Star Wars thing was kind of funny.

In the end, it is clear what this episode lost points for. It simply didn't have the funny, except in the Batman piece. Revenge of the Geeks only got a 1.5/3 I liked the story, and I was also being generous there. I guess the one surprise that came from this episode is that Joel H. Cohen could right something so lacking of laughs when his scripts are usually the most hilarious. I am really hoping the quality has degraded so badly soley because of the work being done on the Movie. Whether that is the reason or not, I have lost pretty much all the passion I had for new episodes.

5/10

It wasn't god-awful, but it certainly wasn't god-good. (cough)Puns are bad writing!(cough)

I'll be generous and give it a 3/5, I only saw the last 20 minutes.

Krusty Burger said:
I have one question though...what in the hell was with the ending scroll?

This isn't Family Guy.

It's not that random, Star Wars is an epic trilogy about revenge.

Krusty Burger said:

This isn't Family Guy.

No kidding, Al Jean and Mike Reiss trash Family Guy non stop and in the process, they have become worse than Family Guy.

Krusty Burger said:

This isn't Family Guy.
Yeah, and what was with Gordie Howe's stats at the end of Bart the Lover?

typical trilogy crap. That Iraq line was horrendous as well.

D+

Back