• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Marge episodes are... well, you can tell the writers had a hard time finding ways to make them funny, most of the focus is on Marge's situational narcissism. But it's also telling that the funniest part of the episode is when Homer plays Mr. Burns at golf.

Dec 22, 2017
I always liked this one. It shows how easily people can lose themselves while trying to "keep up with the Joneses". The golf b-story is the weakest part of the episode imo.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yeah that clips pretty lame, I gotta say.

I don't recall the rest of the episode but like any episode from that era I sure wouldn't mind rewatching it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, don't worry, Marge. Her idea of wit is nothing more than an incisive observation humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's solid, if I were to put some episodes of classic era Simpsons under fire I'd be immediately gunning for The Secret War of Lisa Simpson or Dancing Homer

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"It'll be good for the economy!" is one of my favorite Simpsons punchlines, so I give it credit for that at least.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've come to appreciate it more and more over the years, for what an uncommon Marge episode it is. I love classic era Simpsons, but that writers room was such a Boys Club and struggled giving Marge stories that aren't entirely about being a mom. It was really refreshing seeing Marge trying to branch out and connect with these out-of-touch socialites.

That sewing scene where Marge blows up at Lisa is super underrated.

Oct 25, 2017
It gave us "open faced club sand-wedge" so yes.

but also, the scene where Lisa is jumping up and down mom mom mom mom wheeee wheeeee mom mom mom mom

and marge yells at her… is like being a parent reduced into a single moment. All I want to get this ONE FUCKING THING DONE WITHOUT BEING INTERRUPTED… then you feel awful for losing your cool.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It's a solid episode and I agree that the Homer golf B-Story is the weakest part. There's some great witty banter at the country club and it has a well-drawn and relatable inner-conflict for Marge.

I've come to appreciate it more and more over the years, for what an uncommon Marge episode it is. I love classic era Simpsons, but that writers room was such a Boys Club and struggled giving Marge stories that aren't entirely about being a mom. It was really refreshing seeing Marge trying to branch out and connect with these out-of-touch socialites.

I know the writing credits for any given episode don't always mean that much given how collaborative the writing process was but I think it's telling that this was one of an extremely small number of episodes written by a woman. Jennifer Crittenden really went on to have quite the resume too (Seinfeld, Veep, classic Arrested Development)

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
For once, maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Good episode.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I have the "Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably, the lesson is "never try."" quote hanging in my office lol. Great episode

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think there's a single bad episode in the first seven episodes of the Simpsons, but while this one is good, I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites. The class commentary themes are solid but I found the humor a bit wanting.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Season 7 is a top 2 season and this only sticks out because it's slightly less good than the rest of the season

(5, 7, 4, 8, 6, 3, 9, 2, 11, 10, 1)

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
It's a solid episode. Not particularly funny, but Marge's story is thoughtful and well written.

It's unique enough in its premise and execution to be memorable, even if the humor takes a back seat to the more serious story.

It probably won't show up on any top 20 lists or anything, but yeah, it's good. I'd probably rank it somewhere in the middle of the classic era.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like this one. Judging an episode entirely on humor isn't fair to a lot of classic era eps. Some episodes rely more their character development and thoughtfulness (Hurricane Neddy, Marge be not Proud, Lisa's Substitute, A Milhouse Divided) and break up the pace in interesting ways. I appreciated the Marge focus and class insecurities from her perspective. Even as a kid it stood out for that reason.

and marge yells at her… is like being a parent reduced into a single moment. All I want to get this ONE FUCKING THING DONE WITHOUT BEING INTERRUPTED… then you feel awful for losing your cool.

Yep, for scenes like these that really ground the episode in a very real way that make it so special.

Apr 2, 2021
This was my favorite episode growing up. I would still say it's my favorite episode now but from my last rewatch I can recall enjoying "And Maggie Makes Three" more.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh, don't worry Marge. Her idea of wit is nothing more than an incisive observation humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing."